Using a 5" TV to view DirecTV song titles - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using a 5" TV to view DirecTV song titles

I use DirecTV for music (now SonicTap) in my shop, but I don't like to fire up my projector just to see the song titles. Used to be that Sirius/XM provided music to DirecTV and they often had DJs that would announce the tunes - at least on my personal fave, "Symphony Hall". After the SonicTap change I was often wondering, "hey, who is that?", etc...

Sitting in the corner of my shop was a "JEEP" brand emergency radio/tv/lantern thingy. So I cannabalized it into THIS!

Click the image to open in full size.

Now I can see the titles, and can also enjoy the crazy look that some spare time (thanks recession) and scrap Walnut can provide.

I'm running a Carver TC-17 preamp into a Carver TFM15-CB amp. Vinyl rides on an old JVC direct drive QL-A2 turntable, and DVDs and CDs run in some Magnavox box.

L/R Speakers are homebuilt 2way ported boxes with Audax drivers. The baffles are two large - if I did them over I'd turn 'em sideways, but they sound very good in my shop - which is a very lumpy room from the midbass
down. I also have a 12" NHT sub in a 2CF sealed box with a 200W plate amp.

Old 2nd March 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's a couple more pix of the TV... it's B/W by the way...
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelhornc View Post
Here's a couple more pix of the TV... it's B/W by the way...
It's also a shock hazard - but it looks nice.

G
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed... made me uncomfortable moving that little tube around. It's in a place where a reach around is very unlikely - and it's way up off the ground where the small people can't reach it.

Maybe I'll measure the voltage at the tube just to satisfy my curiosity.

Just make sure you keep one hand in your back pocket when you work around those high voltages.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I use an old portable DVD player screen. It belonged to my grandchildren (age 2 & 5). After they dropped it several times, it wouldn't play DVDs anymore so I re-purposed it as a read-out screen in my system.

Hide this!Advertise here!