Home Recording/Timeshifting methods - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 10:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home Recording/Timeshifting methods

I use minidisc as a means of 'timeshifting' radio programmes, mainly for listening to in the car during the daily commute. The limited capacity of MD forces me to use LP2 mode in order to get a decent record time. I would say that for most of the time the quality is acceptable. However, there are times when I want to keep either some or all of the programme, and then the compromise of LP2 becomes evident. There must be a better way, given the cheapness of Flash Memory & Hard Disks these days. So here is my question -what other recording methods are available to me? Such a method must have the advantages of MD, which for me are:-

1) Timer Recording (which rules out the use of a HiMD portable as a recorder)
2) Instant Playback (i.e. no transfer of data onto a removable media)
3) Portability
4) No Computer required.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:06 AM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

A modified version of Rockbox could do that.

Given the low hardware requirements of audio and low cost of media, it could even be done with a microcontroller writing uncompressed PCM to a SD card.
Old 13th February 2010, 01:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Star882, thanks for your reply. I hadn't heard of Rockbox before, so I've been reading the Ipod Nano version of the manual, largely because my daughter has recently discarded her Nano 2G, which could therefore be experimented with! The manual implies that recordings can be made from either FM radio or Line-In. Does this lead me to the (doubtful) conclusion that the Nano has the hardware for these functions built-in already? Or is some sort of plug-in device (along the lines of an Alesis Protrack or a Belkin Tunetalk) required?

No doubt you can tell that I'm out of my depth here! Anyway, you mention that a modified version of Rockbox could do what I want - is the modification required to provide the Timer Record function, which I don't see in the manual?

Hide this!Advertise here!