Using a Computer Monitor as a TV? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2010, 08:02 PM   #1
form109 is offline form109  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Using a Computer Monitor as a TV?

ok heres the scoop.

i currently have this 19" Acer LCD Monitor (Model # AL1912) that is sitting and doing nothing for the most part,and i was wondering if there was any sort of Thing you could build to convert the standard video cable imputs (EX..S-Video,HDMI,Composite Video,ect) to something that would work with the VGA Pin Connector on the Back of the Monitor.

im aware that they already make such devices,i just wanted to build my own.

does anybody have a Schematic for such a project?
Old 8th February 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by form109 View Post
ok heres the scoop.

i currently have this 19" Acer LCD Monitor (Model # AL1912) that is sitting and doing nothing for the most part,and i was wondering if there was any sort of Thing you could build to convert the standard video cable imputs (EX..S-Video,HDMI,Composite Video,ect) to something that would work with the VGA Pin Connector on the Back of the Monitor.

im aware that they already make such devices,i just wanted to build my own.

does anybody have a Schematic for such a project?
So put a tuner in the PC and you have a DVR and can also just watch TV. I have 5 of them. It doesn't take much of a computer to do this though if you want to record while surfing the 'net, a multi-core CPU is better. OR you might find a stand alone tuner as were intended for early HDTV monitors. eBay is a place to look.

G
Old 8th February 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

National makes a chip to do this, but transcoders are so cheap these days I would hardly think it worth the effort to make one. Here's the info though.

LMH1251 - YPbPr to RGBHV Converter and 2:1 Video Switch
Old 9th February 2010, 05:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Portable tuners that look like portable drives are available and will connect directly to the monitor.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If Any one goes into DIY arena its coz we and the pros compete for new ideas
so i think if we stop DIY stuff we will be in the hands of market sharks ,let them know that we are every where no matter what they sell we try to make it or closer to it or on it
it's not how cheap?, it is the rush of blood when you D.I.Y
Thats What i Think

Hide this!Advertise here!