Long output lead or long output transistors leads? which one to pick?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks,

I am making a point to point mono power amp. The power amp board is relatively small in terms of the large heat sink. I can mount the speaker binding posts and input RCA connector on the amp board itself, but then the leads from the output transitors will have to be longer if the amp board is to be mounted on the rear panel.

Or,
Mount the amp board in the center of the two large heatsinks close to the output transistors, this way the transistor leads will be very short. That means the leads for the input and speaker output will be longer from the rear panel to the middle(central position of the squareish amp).

Or,
Do away the rear panel, have the interconnect and speaker cable go thru the open ended amp case in the second setup above.

Any advice?
Regards,
Chris

chris
you building a jlh right . I built mine ptp too. Long output lead is okay. Long output transistor leads was giving out high frequency instability viewied on the scope. . I think Geoff even ask me to twist the cables and maybe even shield the transistor leads. Try also install 100 ohm resistors at the base of the transistor when using long leads to form a low pass. Ptp for jlh with large heatsinks was hard to hunt the instability.
Very grounding has to be applied to however come the hum due to ptp. Also i remember the feedback wire is super crucial as the main source of noise. Shield this
good luck then on the ptp .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.