Can I get some direction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've tried searching to see what direction has been provided to *absolute* neophytes, but either neophytes don't come here, or I am using bad search terms. Please forgive me if there are already a million answers to my request!

All that said, I really want to get in to DIY audio, and more generally in to a real understanding of audio equipment. I've found some purported "how to" sites for beginners, but they generally assume a level of technical knowledge that I don't have.

So, broadly, I'd just like to be pointed in the direction of a nice primer for neophytes. I don't even know what I need to know, so I can't give more direction than that. My long-term goals are to be able to put together my own amp, build a speaker box of reasonable quality, and basically be able to speak to people who know what they're talking about without making a fool of myself.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hello fellow neophyte. Well, not exactly, I was a neophyte four years ago.

Tony Gee; humblehomemadehifi.com is a great starting point for speakers. He will also give you great insight into the pro's of spending more money on the crossover parts then any other part of a speaker. Duelund and Mundorf are almost mandatory for the critical components. Search 'troelsgravesen' on the web for more speaker stuff. Building your own speakers is fun, easy, and easily outperforms many store bought stuff at a fraction of the price. One of the all time greats is the ProAc Responce 2.5 clone's. Search the web.

I hope you still have a lot of vinyl, or are willing to buy some. I have an EMM Labs CDSAse CD/SACD player (one of the best), and it can't come close to an LP setup. I hope I don't get scolded for that statement.

Search Pass Labs, or Burning Amp for amp building. If you are not up to that, go to AudioGon and buy a used tube integrated amp.

Many other's will give you better advice, but that is a good starting point.

I feel your pain...
I visit three forums regularly. I don't know if it's OK to post the names of them here, so PM me and I'll give you the names of the other two. Between the three forums' experienced/"smart" members and other folks asking questions, most get answered.
Other than that, a good way to start with an amp might be to purchase one through audiosector.com or chipamp.com and ask questions as you go along. A lot of members have built one of these and know a lot about them. Do the same with a proven design in speakers.
I've built a couple amps, several sets of speakers, and a repaired a few receivers with the help of forum members.
Mike

getting started

Yeah, some of this overshoot my head, and I've been at it since '85.

Speakers are of primary importance, and yet easy to start with. Check out kits available at madisound.com, seas.no, and perhaps even parts-express.com. There is a wide variety and cost options (I've been wanting a pair of Seas Thor's, but....), how much boom- tinkle do you want.

Amps are wide ranging, but the chipamp types are relatively simple and bullet proof. I have one version, but the others are also good. Look for good documentation.

all the best

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.