how hard is it to make a PCB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, i hate all of this stuff so much right now. every single $2 project costs me $20 or more... like this stupid active crossover. i have really cheap parts which is one saving grace. i'm just trying to test it out.

synopsis:

test 1. failed
fixed a problem.
failed. cost $10

test 2. never tested. say a problem with the capacitors and just scraped it for parts. cost $10

test 3. never finished. used radioshack grid board which was worthless as i can't make tracks or such. cost $5

test 4. halfway done. i really hate how i messed up on the layout. it still should work, but i've already messed up cost so far, less than $5 as parts were salvaged.

and to make things worse, i still don't have a good soldering iron. i just got a new one, with adjustable temperature and a tip so small you can't use it. what setting should the temperature be on? 300C, or higher? at 300C the joints don't get hot enought to melt solder. the components still get hot, as does the board and leads, but the solder just bends out of the way and doesn't melt... BTW, how bad is a cold solder joint. i'm thinking i have a few as i had to touch the solder to the iron and lead at the same time to get any melting because the solder just bends instead of melting. really, it looks terrible, i hate my new iron and now hate soldering again.

in any case, i have to determine if i should just wait a few more months and have the school print me some boards for free. it would likely work and cost less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.