high end earphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JOE DIRT® said:
Binaurial sound>??? anyone???

Not sure what you mean, however, if you're asking if anyone has heard a true binaural recording, yes, I have. Very much better at getting the sound out of your head, but there are few recordings, of anything at all in this format, let alone stuff I would listen to, so it's a moot point. Bibaural recording played on speakers sound very strange, even in mono.

Trouble with headphones is they don't allow any body experience (physical sensation of sound, even at a low level), so I find it harder to get into them.

Best dynamic phones? Sennheiser HD-600!

Best electrostatics? STAX!

Not being made of money, I bought the HD-600 and couldn't be happier. Sennheiser's electrostats didn't sound that great to me.

I agree 100%

Originally I was going to get the HD580 for cost reasons, but a search on the web found a place in NJ that would sell me the HD600 for less the Icould get teh '580s at my local shop.

-- John

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I also have some old Stax. DON'T USE THE OLD TRANSFORMER UNITS!! The transformer boxes give crappy audio quality. You need to use an actual amp for electrostatic headphones. Buy a Stax one (expensive) or build your own (this is after all a DIY forum).
Another thing is, newer Staxes are a HUGE improvement over the old ones. I auditioned the Lambda Pro and the Omega 2 and they sound better than any dynamic headphones I've ever heard, and any speakers for that matter. But a good source is very important, or so the store guy says.

I use the transformer box (for now) with the Stax Lambda's was thinking to build a HV MOSFET amplifier a la headwize, but it's down there on the list of priorities. The headset is used primarily to promote domestic tranquility -- i.e. when the wife is watching one of those gushy movies on Channel 156 or something.

Hi Prune

Rats. I just paid 150 for the 580. How about sharing that place?

Actually, I can't remember except that they are out of New Jersey and didn't look like a 'high-end' audio retailer.

A quick google has found the following links to price comparisons on HD600:

http://www.nextag.com/Sennheiser_HD_600_Hi~2327781z0znzzz1zzhd600zmainz2-htm

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=264355/mode=google/ut=3fc9201dd283b406,

with the cheapest being Etronics at $250 (which is les that I paid)

http://www.etronics.com/

-- John

electrostatic headphone amp

if you look at the power supply section of "The Art of Electronics" there is a MOSFET supply in which you can replace the Voltage Reference section with an "input" section you modulate the gate of one of the drivers to get an audio output capable of driving a capacitative load -- the authors actually suggest this application.

Jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.