www.audio-circuit.dk download site bandwidth spam - Help needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2010, 05:14 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Angry www.audio-circuit.dk download site bandwidth spam - Help needed

Then it happened again

Back in october 2008 I was kicked out by my former webhoster due to bandwidth spam on my free Schematic and Service Manual download site performed by some *:;>/% idiots in the Far East and USA.

I moved my site to new hoster, which gave me the possibillity to deny access from selected IP addresses. Since then I almost once a week had to add further one or two IP address areas to the deny list.....

Now I just got a final warning from my current hosting service !!!
Several bandwidth spammers in different IP areas are pulling tons of GB downloads every day. I could just add them to the IP deny list, but this sadly also affects normal download users in those areas. If this continues I will end up with a free download site only accessable from my local area IP area. This was NOT the intention with my site

Is there someone who can help me setup some kind of password protection on my PHP download sites ??

If problem is not solved within 5 days, I sadly have to close my free download service and make it commercial (sending schematic and manuals by email). I don't want's this to happen.....

Any help appreciated.
Old 16th January 2010, 05:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Give this a try: AutoIndex PHP Script (Website Directory Indexer)

Give uploading priviledges only to those you trust

Cheers!
Old 16th January 2010, 05:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Geek,

However having many 1000 normal different download users every month, it's not possible to grant access to every one.......
Old 16th January 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan.

Sorry to hear this. If it's not possible to limit the acces from those fools, it will be a great loss for a lot of us.
Isn't it possible to form some kind of "forum", where people have to log in before having access to the download area ?
Sorry, i'm not experienced in setting up such things, it's just a thought.

All the best, and good luck
Ebbe
Old 16th January 2010, 06:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ebbe,

I'm not a shark on advanced websites and know nothing about setting up forums etc.
That's why I'm asking for help here....
I really want my free download site to be up, however limited time and knowledge may result in the site being down for ever if someone doesn't come to rescue
Old 16th January 2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Would it be terribly complicated (or expensive?) to implement some sort of Captcha "human confirmation" thing?
Old 16th January 2010, 07:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Khron,

No I don't think so. However I do not know how to implement Captca's......
Old 16th January 2010, 07:42 AM   #8
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan

Maybe it's robots rather than humans.
If so, you need one of those arrangements where one has to recognize a picture before proceeding.

If it's humans, you could try slow them down a bit e.g. by having to click through a few pages to get to each download. (irritating, though)

Another approach is to limit downloads per user. e.g. record IP addresses of downloaders and don't allow another download from the same IP within an hour of the previous download.

Maybe something similar could be achieved with cookies to avoid saving stuff on the server?

Regards - Godfrey
Old 16th January 2010, 07:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi godfrey,

I surely thinks it robots or someone who wrote a script...
Thanks for the ideas, however I need help from someone who can implement a solution, as I have no knowledge on how to do that.......
Old 16th January 2010, 07:56 AM   #10
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

My suggestion if you want to keep it hosted yourself would be to just put a simple "htaccess" password on the directory and require people to email you for the password - that way you can control who gets access and change the password every so often.

If there's no copyright issues we could host them on diyaudio - we have plenty of spare bandwidth and processing power, and can easily require downloads to be performed by members only.

Hide this!Advertise here!