CQ CQ all Hams...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering who else is a Ham?

I run a little Kenwood 2m rig, with cubical quad hanging from the celing in my workshop... ...someday I'll write the other tests and get on HF... ...Problem is, I like audio too much! Can't get the fidelity from SSB.

-Dan (N8XJK)

P.S. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're probably not a ham.

No Contest!

I'm not a contester either. I like nice air-conditioned trailers isolated from the world, operating QRP-battery (5 pts/contact) as opposed to a mosquito-infested, hot, sweaty tent, banging out contacts at hi-pwr, bustin' my a$$, and only getting 1 lousy point per contact.

I also like a million stations at the FD site. That way, each station can take their time, operate a little, go goof off a little, then return and go at it fresh. As they say, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy :eek:

Do we have UPer on the forms?

Gentleman:

You missed the earlier call for hams. This form thread "Any hams in the house"

I have operated W8YY in my early days. My mother was from Lake Lindon, and I was W8GVV in Newberry. Mostly 40 mtrs. and mostly QRP cw. College was to yeqars in the Soo and two at tech.

If this dose not make sense you are not a UPer.

Currently AA7GQ near Portland OR.

73 es gd lk.

Tom

Re: Do we have UPer on the forms?

ThomasLMcLean said:

I have operated W8YY in my early days. My mother was from Lake Lindon, and I was W8GVV in Newberry. Mostly 40 mtrs. and mostly QRP cw. College was to yeqars in the Soo and two at tech.

If this dose not make sense you are not a UPer.

Ya, eh!

When was your thread for hams? I'v only been on the boards for a short while...

I'm a Yooper... ...born in Hancock, live in Calumet.

My father spent a few years at LSSU, and a few at MTU also, not sure of the years tho. His call is N8BFL.

I'm line of sight (30 miles) from my dad's place, so use 2M for nightly contacts.

Never really cared for CW... ...passed the code test for 5 WPM. With the new changes in lisc., I should write the other tests. Maybe this winter.

Dan

I got a BS in Engineering Physics. This was before their Nuclear Engineering Program. I have spent my career in the Nuclear field doing instrumentation systems and accident analysis.

With the ham background I always wondered if I shouldn't have been a EE. I love antenna design.

How does the job market look these days?

I am told that my grandfather handed his father a lunch bucket down in the mouth of the Hackela mine when it was first opened.

Tom

ThomasLMcLean said:

With the ham background I always wondered if I shouldn't have been a EE. I love antenna design.

How does the job market look these days?

Job market isn't too hot from what I hear. If you're a student, and good at what you do, you'll find a job. Other wise plan on living with your parents for a while. I was laid off for about 6 months last year. Company closed. I was lucky enough to make some cash doing consulting/engineering. Eventually, I landed a great job... ...much to my surprise, in hancock.

I like to build antennas, but it's more fun keeping that a hobby. I to a lot of engineering for fun... ...then at work... ...can get old at times.

My family worked in the mines until about 1914. Then they bought a cow and moved to pelkie. Homsteaded a farm.

Dan

Cubical Quad

Dan-

How well does the antenna perform? :confused: Front-to-side ratio? (no hard #'s) :confused: Do you know its gain? :confused: Sorry for the questions, but after my 5-element vertical yagi for 2M (a QST project, if you know what I mean :dead: ), I've been wanting to do something sort of unconventional, and the Quad fills the bill. Have several good websites that you just plug in the #'s and it spits out the dimensions. :cool:

Re: Cubical Quad

I didn't try to check gain, but it seems very directional. If I'm off more than about 15 degrees, signal drops a few S units. It has one driven, one reflector, and one director element. You could try one with a few more driectors... ...should increas the gain/directivity some. I just used formulas in a spreadsheet I found on the web also. Seemed to work well.

The quad was a bear to tune. I used an MFJ 259B to tune the thing. I ended up running the coax down the quad element for about 6 inches, and then off of the element at 90 degrees. That was the only way I could get it to tune. Not so sure how that changed the impedance, but it sure did.

I had a ladder line J-pole before this, and it made a world of difference. Again, I'm shooting about 30 miles as the crow files, running about 10W on simplex. My dad built a quad driven/quad reflector with yagi type directors. the thing was about 9 feet long. That one did really well, from what I remember. (could hit a repeater in the same location, that wouldn't break the sql on a 5/8ths mobile antenna...)

-Dan

Hey you'all KD50QJ
I'm the guy that started the last thread "any hams in the house"
I've been a Ham for over two years now, but got my first radio not to long ago. It's a 2m 70cm hand held. I'm put a dippole in my back yard right now. i've been getting QST since i started and i try to keep up with evreyone else out there. I wanted to start HF on the 40m band, but i cant find a good deal on one. ;) let me know if any of you have an old rig you don't want. I was up in Dayton one week after the Ham feast on business :bawling:
The hand held was a gift from my dad (none Ham) i'm the only one in my whole family.

Well 73 from all of us down in TEXAS

KD50QJ C.J.

cool...some other physics guys...I graduated in 86 with a B.S.c. and I am a avid ham/cb buff....just moved only have a 10 watt CB base station set up right now....I have a 15 ft whip mounted 30 ft up on my tv tower right now with some RG8 feeding my base unit....I`m getting pretty good signal from the southern states

Cheers!!The DIRT®

Dish

Not a clue. Probably some satellite freaks out there who could help out? :bigeyes: I'll bet it would nake a heck of a directional antenna, though. :D

Have you tried eBay for a rig? They're gettin cheap there. I was lookin'the other day at some Icom 706s there, and saw sone at a good price. I would try for the "MKII-G, though. :idea:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.