CQ CQ all Hams...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE THREAD DIE!!!! DIE DIE THREAD DIE!!!!:headshot:

Jocko's Back!

This should kill it.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 146
bobcat190 said:
Come on guys.

Ok, Ok, just to keep you happy, we'll try to keep the thread alive...

just tested for my /AG and /AE this weekend. Also picked up a 706MKII. Also, just put a mobile 80/40/20/10 whip on my truck.

Any one else on HF SSB...
I'm open to any HF, if anyone wants to set up a schedule. (Note, 40's really poor right now, but 20 seems be doing well)

If anyone here is intrested in QSO's , I may set up a HF rig in the audio shop, with a long wire... ...chat about audio, etc.

I usually monitor 7208 and 7245... ... mornings, and after work.

Dan, N8XJK

I am really inactive now, so much so that I have to renew ...

the rig here is an SX117, HT44 and HT45 -- this really dates me but it was the dream rig of my youth. I also have an SR160.

i also have a HP3586C "Receiver" with an ultrastable time base -- 10kHz to 30MHz -- sits in the lab however with the time base running my counter and RF signal generator. When I am in the lab I use it for SWLing.

have you been watching the BPL controversy?

jackinnj said:
I am really inactive now, so much so that I have to renew ...

the rig here is an SX117, HT44 and HT45 -- this really dates me but it was the dream rig of my youth. I also have an SR160.

i also have a HP3586C "Receiver" with an ultrastable time base -- 10kHz to 30MHz -- sits in the lab however with the time base running my counter and RF signal generator. When I am in the lab I use it for SWLing.

have you been watching the BPL controversy?

I just picked up the 706 from the wife of an SK. They were friends of the family, and she's been trying to sell off some of his gear.
That's the only HF gear I have. I have a couple of Kenwood TM-261's... ...nice simple 2M rigs.

I'll be shopping for a rig for my wife, probably a HT. I'll probably be shopping for one for myself also... ...always things to spend $$$ on...

Yeah, I've been watching BPL... ...I am concerned. I don't think that you can send digital data over a power line without raidating RF. I hope that the FCC realizes that also.

-Dan

Back 2 Life

OK, lemme bring this thread back 2 life.

Dan-

Loved your article in last November's QST, on the Battery booster. Very ingeneous on tying the center-tap of the transformer's secondary to B+. This idea might come in handy for some SMPSs for Audio Amps. I am interested in getting one of the Generation II boards from Far Circuits as soon as I can scrape a few coins together. New family will do that to you.

Hams-

I just finished my longwire/counterpoise this weekend, and am gonna try it out this week. Rig is a MKII-G, tuner is SGC-237 with a 75ft longwire, and 23 ft counterpoise buried 2-3 inches.

I am good for about 200Ah of battery back-up, and am nearing completion of a lawnmower engine-powered generator, good for about 1.5kW.

I know this subject has appeared in QST before, but I have added a few new twists: The 3.5hp B&S vertical-shaft engine is new with electric start, as is the alternator, a Delco CS-144, and the 600W Inverter. The Alternator, according to Delco's own graphs, peaks out at 140A at 6000 RPM. De-rating everything for inefficiencies, I am estimating that each HP will yield about 500W.

The beauty of this thing is, at light loads, I can throttle back the engine, since the 60Hz out does not depend on engine speed (3600rpm). Thsi should be pretty cool for next year's (2006) Field Day. As soon as I finish it, I promise, I WILL Post pics.

'73,

de N8XO (Steve)

Re: Back 2 Life

N-Channel said:
OK, lemme bring this thread back 2 life.

Dan-

Loved your article in last November's QST, on the Battery booster. Very ingeneous on tying the center-tap of the transformer's secondary to B+. This idea might come in handy for some SMPSs for Audio Amps. I am interested in getting one of the Generation II boards from Far Circuits as soon as I can scrape a few coins together. New family will do that to you.

Hams-

The beauty of this thing is, at light loads, I can throttle back the engine, since the 60Hz out does not depend on engine speed (3600rpm). Thsi should be pretty cool for next year's (2006) Field Day. As soon as I finish it, I promise, I WILL Post pics.

'73,

de N8XO (Steve)

Well, back to life it is!

I'd love to see pics of your projects. I always like to see pics of other projects. (You can learn a lot from looking at what other prople do!)

As for the booster, They are selling, albeit slowly. I have a lot left, so there should be plenty for you when you are ready. I also have a friend building them for me, if you want one ready built. (But, I'm guessing you're a do if yourself sort of guy (grin)).

I also have an inverter project (Way Way back on my project list... ....new addition to the family also). I have tested the sine modulator to over 600 watts. I'm thinking that 1.5KW should be easy.

Dan

what the world could use is a low noise, high power inverter -- there was an article in Wireless World a while back which described the problems of using an off-the-shelf module in a remote location where the researcher had to use a.c. powered equipment -- firstly the voltage was "peak to peak" on the output, full of noisy harmonics, etc., etc.

jackinnj said:
what the world could use is a low noise, high power inverter -- there was an article in Wireless World a while back which described the problems of using an off-the-shelf module in a remote location where the researcher had to use a.c. powered equipment -- firstly the voltage was "peak to peak" on the output, full of noisy harmonics, etc., etc.

I have a dream... ...in the house that I am building, I will have several large inverters, to run critical equipment from battery backed true sine wave inverters. (Furnace, audio video equipment, Ham shack, home automation equipment, and even the backup generator controls...)

Keep in mind any power that I invert will both be RF quiet (or as much so as possible) and High Fidelity. :) (Currently, the sine waves show second order harmonics at -40dB down. I intend to improve that (No that I'm trying, but because it will happen when I make the changes I want to ;)

-Dan

Theres a bit of a tradeoff between size, cleanlyness, and efficiency.

In my dream the house uses a 12 pulse inverter, may as well have three phase power if Im going to all the trouble. If you want three phase power and dont have any machine tools, you might be a geek. The possibility of having 3.5% ripple after the rectifiers before a single smoothing capacitor is like sugar plums dancing in my head.

Tweeker said:
Theres a bit of a tradeoff between size, cleanlyness, and efficiency.

In my dream the house uses a 12 pulse inverter, may as well have three phase power if Im going to all the trouble. If you want three phase power and dont have any machine tools, you might be a geek. The possibility of having 3.5% ripple after the rectifiers before a single smoothing capacitor is like sugar plums dancing in my head.

Mmmmm, three phase power is nice. 3-phase 480 is even nicer. Motors are always cheaper second hand...

Have you considered a rotary converter?

One of my interrsted is switching power conversion, and I'm looking for a reason to design an build some really really big
inverters. I do have a need for 3 phase, but just not for 'emergency' power. :)

-Dan

re: CQ CQ all Hams

Hello!
Sort of new to this audio group and found this thread via a search engine while trying to find a cure for my TM461, low audio output.
Name hr is Rod and home QTH is Ishpeming on our nation's North Coast... I've been Hamming for 20 yrs and still just a general working on my advanced! Not real active right now....
Recently I have gotten the tube bug and it looks to be bad! Interested in making my own homebrew amp SE or PP. I have an EICO HF-20 and won a second on EBAY.
More to come I'm sure!

73 or 72 as the case may be! Rod KB8DNS

Re: OK, I did not resist

Hisatugo said:
Good at QRZ.com also.

At these times of internet, we need some new challenges to keep ham radio alive.

Glad there still some of us around the world.

to keep our bands and to keep hobby going.

Regards to all!

73!!!

Euclides - PY2EV

GM friend!
I wonder if we had QSO?
I don't have PC. log yet
:)
Hope to hear you on the bands,
73 de Z37HWX
ZOKI

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2257228/z37hwx/

Been there, Done that.

I've been a ham since August 1953; presently AA1C, formerly W1ZFM and W3JNJ. QRT since roughly 2000. Still have all the gear but no antenna and little interest in starting up again. I ran QSK HF CW exclusively. The last gear I purchased was the Heathkit twins: HX1681 and HR1680.
Audio is far more interesting to me than Ham Radio these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.