CQ CQ all Hams... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2003, 10:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile CQ CQ all Hams...

Just wondering who else is a Ham?

I run a little Kenwood 2m rig, with cubical quad hanging from the celing in my workshop... ...someday I'll write the other tests and get on HF... ...Problem is, I like audio too much! Can't get the fidelity from SSB.

-Dan (N8XJK)

P.S. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're probably not a ham.
Old 31st May 2003, 12:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default CQ de N8XO

I'm good in QRZ. Ran USECA's Field Day last year. 20,595pts. QRP 3rd Place overall

2 bad the '517 machine is down.
Old 31st May 2003, 12:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I will be in Traverse City in 2 weeks. I will be on the 147.16 machine in Cadillac, then the 145.29 machine in Vanderbilt- both on the W8HVG link.
Old 31st May 2003, 02:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: CQ de N8XO

Quote:
Originally posted by N-Channel

2 bad the '517 machine is down.
Not much for contests. Never got into them.

Way north of you. 2 mtr rptr here are 6.880. Houghton/Hancock. MTU is south of me.

73's
Dan
Old 31st May 2003, 04:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Talking No Contest!

I'm not a contester either. I like nice air-conditioned trailers isolated from the world, operating QRP-battery (5 pts/contact) as opposed to a mosquito-infested, hot, sweaty tent, banging out contacts at hi-pwr, bustin' my a$$, and only getting 1 lousy point per contact.

I also like a million stations at the FD site. That way, each station can take their time, operate a little, go goof off a little, then return and go at it fresh. As they say, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Old 31st May 2003, 06:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Do we have UPer on the forms?

Gentleman:

You missed the earlier call for hams. This form thread "Any hams in the house"

I have operated W8YY in my early days. My mother was from Lake Lindon, and I was W8GVV in Newberry. Mostly 40 mtrs. and mostly QRP cw. College was to yeqars in the Soo and two at tech.

If this dose not make sense you are not a UPer.

Currently AA7GQ near Portland OR.

73 es gd lk.

Tom
Old 2nd June 2003, 03:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Do we have UPer on the forms?

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasLMcLean

I have operated W8YY in my early days. My mother was from Lake Lindon, and I was W8GVV in Newberry. Mostly 40 mtrs. and mostly QRP cw. College was to yeqars in the Soo and two at tech.

If this dose not make sense you are not a UPer.
Ya, eh!

When was your thread for hams? I'v only been on the boards for a short while...

I'm a Yooper... ...born in Hancock, live in Calumet.

My father spent a few years at LSSU, and a few at MTU also, not sure of the years tho. His call is N8BFL.

I'm line of sight (30 miles) from my dad's place, so use 2M for nightly contacts.

Never really cared for CW... ...passed the code test for 5 WPM. With the new changes in lisc., I should write the other tests. Maybe this winter.

Dan
Old 2nd June 2003, 03:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It is a small world. I graduated from MTU in 57. I have spent most of my life traveling around from one job to the next.

The other ham thread in this form. page 2 of the list dated 05-19-2003. The title is "Any Hams in the House"

73 es
Easy Listening

Tom
Old 2nd June 2003, 06:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasLMcLean
It is a small world. I graduated from MTU in 57.
Just curious, what degree? I finished up a BS in electrical a few years back. Wife is a few weeks away from a masters in chem eng.

Tech has fallen on some hard times. Bad management, and a president who wants his name on too many new buildings.

-Dan
Old 2nd June 2003, 07:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I got a BS in Engineering Physics. This was before their Nuclear Engineering Program. I have spent my career in the Nuclear field doing instrumentation systems and accident analysis.

With the ham background I always wondered if I shouldn't have been a EE. I love antenna design.

How does the job market look these days?

I am told that my grandfather handed his father a lunch bucket down in the mouth of the Hackela mine when it was first opened.

Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!