Wire an Audio Input Jack in a stereo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 08:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Wire an Audio Input Jack in a stereo

Hey all,

I have a decent sound system for my computer, but I want to add my stereo to it. I don't really care about the radio part of my stereo, I just want the speakers. How do I wire an audio input jack so that I can plug a 3.5mm Male-Male cord directly from my laptop to my stereo?

ice
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 09:13 PM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by icytenia View Post
Hey all,

I have a decent sound system for my computer, but I want to add my stereo to it. I don't really care about the radio part of my stereo, I just want the speakers. How do I wire an audio input jack so that I can plug a 3.5mm Male-Male cord directly from my laptop to my stereo?

ice
just buy a 3.5mm y adapter, for this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 10:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
The problem is that I don't have an input jack right now. All I have is a headphone jack.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 05:06 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Your stereo has no inputs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 05:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
No, it's an old stereo boombox. no inputs whatsoever
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 05:29 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
No Inputs... Hmm...
Well you could get one of those cassette adapters made for car stereos. You know the kind with the wire coming out of it. Plug that into the computer.

Or buy one of the little FM transmitters made for the same purpose.
__________________
Take the Speaker Voltage Test!
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 03:38 PM   #7
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
No Inputs... Hmm...
Well you could get one of those cassette adapters made for car stereos. You know the kind with the wire coming out of it. Plug that into the computer.

Or buy one of the little FM transmitters made for the same purpose.
Not a bad idea, the fm thing would probably be the best choice. I have one, mine's a Belkin, worked very good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 03:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
chris661's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheffield
Blog Entries: 8
If you fancied dismantling it, the casette deck has 3 wires comming from it - left, right and ground. You could connect a 3.5mm jack there and put the casette thingy in. That would probably be the best solution long term, but you miss out on buying gadgets.
__________________
"Throwing parts at a failure is like throwing sponges at a rainstorm." - Enzo
My setup: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...tang-band.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 03:34 PM   #9
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
If you fancied dismantling it, the casette deck has 3 wires comming from it - left, right and ground. You could connect a 3.5mm jack there and put the casette thingy in. That would probably be the best solution long term, but you miss out on buying gadgets.
Probably don't want to do that, there would be so much gain! Would distort very easy!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Digitally controlled analog Input/Output stereo audio processor tolaemon Chip Amps 3 17th January 2011 09:08 AM
How to solder ground wire to RCA Jack northernsky Construction Tips 13 23rd December 2009 08:27 AM
Adapter for Ipod to stereo jack (Male) rossparry Car Audio 3 2nd December 2009 07:14 PM
2 Mono Jack to Female Stereo Jack JellyMan Everything Else 2 27th May 2008 03:39 PM
how to connect an stereo jack manny Multi-Way 1 4th September 2004 05:24 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:58 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2