Anyone tried component video cable for audio use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have a high end set of component video cables that I was wondering if I could use for audio use (20-20kHz)?

They were really expensive when I bought them, and I don't use them now for component video purposes, and was thinking of giving them a go with my 2-CH audio set up. I am worried about impedance etc not matching.

Anyone tried this? What was the sound like?

Thanks!
Brent

...was thinking of giving them a go with my 2-CH audio set up. I am worried about impedance etc not matching.

I am fairly sure you will find no difference. I have used regular cheap rca cables for component video and they did not work any differently than dedicated CV cables...which leads me to believe that the only thing special about component video cables is the colors on the ends and the cost...

"component video cables" are nothing other than 75 Ohm coax, if they are at all close to spec. Perfectly fine for audio as they balance the inductive and capacitive loads so as not to cause phase issues. If they don't mess up a Mhz, they won't mess up a Khz. I worry more about the "cheap". May not be soldered and may have a very poor braid percentage.

Well, when I compared my component video cables with regular RCA, they weren't broken in yet ;)

Maybe its because of the different colors on the ends, probably sounds horrible because they arn't white or red on the ends. Guess youll have to go buy super high end ones from monster COUGH COUGH CRA9

Just a thought that I've had for a long time... cables that are rated for up to 3GHz, if they can handle that amount of digital signal with accuracy, wouldn't they all sound the same when passing analogue signals @ say 96kHz?

So cables designed for audio sound different because they screw up the sound, like with ring conductors, gold plating, 2 silver 1 copper wire strands per bundle x 4 bundles etc?
Add: Unrequired ferrite chokes, over/undersized conductor for application, 24 conductors in god-knows-what braiding...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.