Do you have golden ears?

What's the highest frequency you can hear?

• Up to 21kHz

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • Up to 20kHz

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Up to 19kHz

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • Up to 18kHz

Votes: 40 15.6%
  • Up to 17kHz

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Up to 16kHz

Votes: 45 17.6%
  • Up to 15kHz

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Up to 14kHz

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Up to 13kHz

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Up to 12kHz

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ha ha... I hadn't tried those, but just done the 1db up down test on my laptops built in speakers and got........................... 10/10 first go and I wasn't even paying great attention.

Pitch and intervals... I play the piano (badly) and tune it using intervals and beats so perhaps I have a fairly highly developed sense that way... I haven't got perfect pitch though as far as I know. 50 cents is huge... you have to tune to under 1 cent error :)

For the my own tests I use a lab generator that does sine square and triangle waves.

And yes tones separately :)

Perhaps i ought to take a look (or listen) to these tests you have put up on here, they sound interesting :D

I voted for 16Khz as i know that that was the highest frequency i could discern the last time i tried things out with a function generator. However, i could well be wrong. My ears tend to block up gradually over a period of a few years & it's not noticeable until all of a sudden i'll get an appreciable sound pressure drop in one ear with a severe loss of treble energy.

This is the result of having narrower than normal ear canal & an over production of wax :rolleyes:

Once i get one ear sorted it's immediately obvious how blocked up the second one is as things are not only louder in the clear ear, but the treble response is vastly superior :D

Just sorted them both less than a few months ago & had to get to know rather a lot of CDs again rofl.gif

Interesting thread & thought provoking!

All these tests etc need to be done with calibrated levels etc,

try this
Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing

which is interesting, but again depends on the PC and sound card/headphones etc

I used Etymotic Research in the ear phones, fully whetted and crammed in tight, and got flat threshold of hearing response of -90dB between about 187Hz to 2kHz. My response rose at each end of the spectrum, to -39dB @ 8kHz. I can't hear anything above that. At the low end, 30Hz is at -51dB. I'm 51 years old. I guess I have age related hearing loss. I also have tinnitus. Sigh. I guess eventually I won't need a tweeter in my loudspeakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.