Reel To Reel Modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an AKAI 1710 RTR. 4 Channel (Two Tracks Stereo/One Track Monaural) tube driven, circa 1968.

Is there a way to modify the tape/rec head in such a manner that I could, for example, listen to one channel while simultaneously recording on the other channel? The RTR's Monaural record feature allows me to record on one channel while neither erasing or recording on the other, if there was only a way to monitor the unused channel, I could have a multi tracker. Of course, I realize that I would still only be able to record two tracks total, it would still be an interesting modification. IF it's possible.

I was thinking that if I could identify the wires soldered in to the tape head and solder leads to the correct wire(s), then run them to a separate preamp, or maybe run them to the preamp out jack on the back of the system, maybe put a switch somewhere in the line to enable/disable the function . . . something like that. Im not too familiar with the functionality of tape heads, other than that most heads handle record an playback duties. I suppose that if the machine can utilize one side of the head to record while disabling the other side completely, there must be a way I can turn it back on...

You can certainly do what you describe. Two areas of caution:
(1) the playback signal from the head is of very low amplitude (1 or 2 mV) so it wil be very susceptible to noise pickup. You need to ensure you use screened wiring, keep the wiring short, and don't route it past 'noisy' items like the power transformer.
(2) the 'off head' signal requires equalisation; simply routing it to a pre-amp will result in a terrible frequency response. Some older tube/valve amplifiers have a 'tape head' input specifically for this purpose.

Both the above wil be solved if you build a small "NAB" preamp, to install within the machine near the head area. This can be done with single chip.
Otherwise you'll have to mess around with the "record" and "mode" swiches to force the machine into play mode on one channel.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. :worship:

Ok, I spliced into the left channel of the tape head. I used a short length of old guitar cable, lined into a separate phono preamp and got a decent sound. Now my problem is, when you set the RTR to record on the right channel only, it disables the playback of the left channel. Does this mean I now have to find a means of supplying power to the tape head as well, or is there a way to modify the channel selector switch (Left/Stereo/Right) without activating the left channel eraser head? I dont have a service manual or any schematics, and like i said earlier, my knowledge on tape heads isn't all that great, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this.

Also, this NAB preamp. THe Only NAB preamps I know of are those expensive bottlehead preamps. Would you happen to have a schematic of what you're speaking of?

Now my problem is, when you set the RTR to record on the right channel only, it disables the playback of the left channel. Does this mean I now have to find a means of supplying power to the tape head as well, or is there a way to modify the channel selector switch (Left/Stereo/Right) without activating the left channel eraser head?

The tape head never "gets power" during playback.

You just need to tap into the head wires for the left channel head and route the head signal to your own pre-amp.

I'll have to actually LOOK at my 1710 (in the storeroom now) to refresh my memory on how it works exactly.

The heads plug into the amplifier via a circular multipole plug, so you dont actually have to make a permanent modificatio - just find connectors that match those already in use and patch in there.

Heres the circuitry to the 1720 - which is a transistor power amp version, but the layout is much the same. (the 1710 I think used transistors in the record amplifiers, but tubes for the power amps)
http://web.eject.co.za/s8nspawn/hifi/1720.jpg
I will only leave that pic on my homepage for a few days, so grab it to your own machine if you want it long term (I can't put it up here on DIYA, its too big)

Each channel has its own rec/play switch that are mechanically linked so they operate together. IF you can mechanically separate them, you can make it operate in play mode on one channel, and record mode on the other. That does involve physically modiftying the switching levers from the stop/play/rec knob to the amplifier box.

Last edited:
So, if I add an external tape head preamp, will I still have to fiddle with the Rec/Play switch?

The 1710 is kind of funky anyway. I cant check instument/mic levels until I have it in record mode, and even then the sound will only be heard through external speakers/headphones. I assumed that since there is a channel selector (L / L&R / R) selecting L will activate the Left REC head and disable the L & R Play head, and also switches the volume knob to a mic/input knob.

When I patched into the tape head, I ran my line to a phono preamp. I was able to listen to the playback, only in play mode. If I attempted to record on the right channel while listening to the left channel, I got nothing. I don't see how attatching an external tape head preamp will be any different, unless it somehow activates the head itself.

This is one of those times I want to shell out the $30 for a service manual.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.