Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do it if it makes you feel better. There is absolutely zero evidence, measured or subjective, that "burning in" a cable does anything other than keep the audiophile busy for a while. That doesn't prevent lots of people from claiming that it's efficacious, but those claims do beg the question of "is it in the wire or in the head?"

I wouldn't listen to that website.
Bottom line is, I think, that your electons move quicker through his bits of copper than anyone else's bits of copper...

Saw a really good one here...
The arrows on the cable indicate the direction of signal flow — the net
work box closest to the destination. (Reversing the direction will affect the
sonic performance of the system!)

Some great laughs on here... http://www.diyaudiocable.com/pdf/diy_burn_in_instructions.pdf

See what you think.
Chris

PS, maybe you should pass DC through the wires, to replace the old electrons............

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:) I cringe when I see and hear folk say that cables, opamps, transistors etc have to "burn in"

My general thoughts,

Speakers... they are mechanical and the properties must alter with use. The movment of a mid or hf cone is so small though that any effect here is marginal.

Capacitors... electroylitics are a chemical device, so again properties alter. I usually charge new ones up to the rated voltage via a resistor and discharge via same to "form" them. And that's that.

Semiconductors... don't alter there properties.
Resistors... as for semiconductors.

Question... to all those that "believe" in burning in. Why do you always think the "sound" gets better. Why not worse ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As strange as it sounds ;)
In idle bored moments I have "wondered" on the audible effect, if any, of introducing a very low amplitude high frequency "bias" to the amp output terminals. Perhaps around 200khz, pure sine at less than 100mv. The zobel network and output inductor would block it's entry into the amp.

Question... to all those that "believe" in burning in. Why do you always think the "sound" gets better. Why not worse ?

Oh yes! I was waiting for somebody to say that.

And I wonder at which point will "burn-in" become "burn-out" - 150 hours of burn-in time sounds too long, and I've seen people being proud of their 300, 500, even 1000-hour burnt-in gear when selling second-hand. :spin:

My gear has been on almost 24/7 for more than a year now, at 365 x 24 = 8760 hours I'm worried the PSU caps won't last.

Another hifi-legend based on some truth and a lot of rubbish. Some passive components really do need a long burn-in, like big "nullohmspuhlen" & tinfiol-caps. Cables might change more or less, depending on "construction".
I`m using really thick solid core as speakerwires, and the copper shure needs to be played rough for about one hour to open up, definitly wery audible.

Seems like every material has some static load that needs to be scared away, more or less

As strange as it sounds ;)
In idle bored moments I have "wondered" on the audible effect, if any, of introducing a very low amplitude high frequency "bias" to the amp output terminals. Perhaps around 200khz, pure sine at less than 100mv. The zobel network and output inductor would block it's entry into the amp.

I think that something like this happens often with DIY audio gear. Components are changed and a unit starts an ultra-sonic oscillation or ringing. Or maybe the new un-shielded interconnects pick-up interference. Either add some fuzziness or brightness that the listener calls an improvement.

@ PaleRider, you say "the copper shure needs to be played rough for about one hour to open up", but can you explain why it should be played for about an hour or so?

I still can't figure why this should help, except for replacing the old by new electrons als earlier predicted:spin:

do it if it makes you feel better. There is absolutely zero evidence, measured or subjective, that "burning in" a cable does anything other than keep the audiophile busy for a while. That doesn't prevent lots of people from claiming that it's efficacious, but those claims do beg the question of "is it in the wire or in the head?"

done and done!

If it takes a week to walk a fortnight, how long would it take a flea with clogs on to walk through a barrel of tar?

It's one of those things they tell kids in jest and then some adults were taken in and then some unscrupulous people realised they could live off the credulous people but you know the old cyepitalist maxim:- 'never give a sucker an even break'

Maurice Saatchi said:
It is not enough to succeed, others must fail...

You can go on milking this issue for the correspondence it generates, but that's all you're doing. Everything meaningful on the subject has been said.

w

As long as it takes to sandpaper an elephant down to the size of a greyhound or to whitewash Mount Everest with a pennyworth of black lead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.