Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
instant-voodoo.jpg

Burning in cables? 103pages... ?
I won't claim to know all the physics although I have studied both physics and eletronics measuring.

I can't possibly decide if there's any validity to the "burning in" cables however it does sound doubtful.
Even if one can detect difference the question becomes wherther or ot the differences are audiable and in the end no-one wins.

I have heard differences in cables, once that I remember. I had bought a set of new speaker wires mostly for the looks. I said to myself "I've upgraded evertything else so Ill buy a decent set and be done with it."
I never acutally exected anything from them besides looking good.
You can imagine my surprize when I plugged them in and there was a big difference in the sound. Even my half deaf father in law wondered what I'd done?

It could have been faulty connections or whatever but the difference was there non the less.

I think we did a DBT with IC's as well and actually did find some differences but it was almost impossible to be sure.

Another time we did a serious DBT with power amps in the $1000-$1500 range. It was difficult to pinpoint any real differenes, however there were some surprizes.
The winner by almost unianimous decision was the priceiest amp but the runner up by unanimous decision was the control amp, a NAD2100 for a fraction of the cost.

So what's my point?
Blind tests can be difficult, very difficult but sometimes there are also audiable differences with different cables. It can be as simple as shoddy connections on one pair or something else entirely?

Still there is a lot to be had by serious testing and hard proof. If there are facts to be had I'd like to see them first. If there are no proof It becomes much harder to convince me there are differences.
It'll be very interesting to see the results of any upcoming tests.

Still waiting. Still have $ to contribute.

Here's another purveyor
of 'liquid upper end' and 'Teflon air tube dielectrics'.
They are however sort of reasonable for purchase (although no different in sound than a stock set from Radio Shack)

He has a no fault 30 day warranty including return shipping.

- AND he purports that proper burn-in makes an audible difference.

Maybe we ought approach this person with this thread and see if he'll play ball? After all, if he's right, it could be a huge boon to his company.

What really matters is what works. If break-in 'works' then it 'is' for all practical purposes. Arguing it away does nothing to change it. This physics is interesting and fascinating to study, but there is no clear path, at least that I can find, only hints as to the complexity of the REAL, rather than the approximate.
It is just like Cryoing materials. Did you know that it was a military secret developed in WW1 for strengthening submarine hatches? It was also used in WW2 to strengthening tools to make bullet casings, etc. I have seen the report from the military.

What really matters is what works. If break-in 'works' then it 'is' for all practical purposes. Arguing it away does nothing to change it. This physics is interesting and fascinating to study, but there is no clear path, at least that I can find, only hints as to the complexity of the REAL, rather than the approximate.
This makes no sense. It's a circular argument anyway, as we are well beyond opinions as to what is and isn't audible. The thread now clearly is about placing your money where your mouth is.
Did you know that it was a military secret developed in WW1 for strengthening submarine hatches? It was also used in WW2 to strengthening tools to make bullet casings, etc. I have seen the report from the military.
Very impressive. But did YOU know that if you quickly cool metal after heating, it becomes very hard and brittle? Not very suitable for banging with a hammer. Now here's some real magic. If you re-heat the same piece of metal, and let it slowly cool, it will then become much more ductile and soft?? Therefore, MUCH easier for hammer-banging! It's magic!

I'll bet it sounds better too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.