Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I remember a freebie on a mag cover, some premoistened cloth that you wipe your speaker cables with, and lo and behold... you an just hear the reviewers comments now lol "a sense of clarity", "as if a veil had been lifted" etc etc

Of course there was a special offer running for a bottle of the stuff.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

Lots of tongue action in that video, like watching a lizard!

117.jpg

I am here to defend the reputation of a colleague, Bruce Brisson, someone who I barely know, and have only met at audio conventions over the years.
Bruce is being impugned here for recommending a way of 'breaking in' his cables. He is not making money by directly doing the 'break in', selling a special box or load for the cables, or a special generator or CD for the 'break in' process, YET he is impugned here, by SY and many lessor lights, as if THEY knew better.
I certainly don't know 'better', because this is the process we have always used to 'break in' wires and even CTC Blowtorch preamps, before final sale.
Now, it is a free world, and we allow people to posture, pray, and even say things that others don't necessarily agree with. IF you don't want to believe in wire 'break in', that is your right. However, to laugh at or impugn the reputation of someone who offers free advice on 'break in' is inappropriate to me, because IF I was asked the same question by some interested audiophile, I would give the SAME ADVICE as Bruce Brisson, as how to do it, AND I am participating in a 'break in' of a couple of my own power amps, at this time, with EXACTLY the same process.

Actually, I was talking about Morrow, but I'll be glad to criticize Brisson for using pseudoscience to defraud the gullible, if that's indeed what he does. I'm sure that I'm a "lesser light" in the rarified world of the scammers, but I have no pangs of conscience about using my abilities in physics and material science to make products that have actually benefited people rather than lighten wallets and lower IQs.

Bill, if you a really interested in the hint of how signals might cause changes, then please get a copy of 'Electronic Properties of Materials' by Rolf E. Hummel , Springer-Verlag.
Of course, you want to be 'spoon fed' direct info that could just as easily be verified by just using your ears, and making a comparison yourself between a 'broken in' wire and a non 'broken in' wire, and you would do better to do this, just to know why we 'break in' wires and equipment. But, I know, that would be silly, wouldn't it? You have to find it in a textbook, that has been 'peer reviewed' and passed the Audio Censorship board, to make it real.

Last edited:
Bill, if you a really interested in the hint of how signals might cause changes, then please get a copy of 'Electronic Properties of Materials' by Rolf E. Hummel , Springer-Verlag.
Of course, you want to be 'spoon fed' direct info that could just as easily be verified by just using your ears, and making a comparison yourself between a 'broken in' wire and a non 'broken in' wire, and you would do better to do this, just to know why we 'break in' wires and equipment. But, I know, that would be silly, wouldn't it? You have to find it in a textbook, that has been 'peer reviewed' and passed the Audio Censorship board, to make it real.

The usual way JC spells "I have nothing". And, to add insult to injury, JC doesn't even have the benefit of ignorance.

Chapter 7 is a good start. It will give a basis to resistivity, changes in resistivity, TRUE electron flow, as well as the usual DRUDE example, that is now obsolete to serious physicists. Of course, it will not give everything that we know from experience about why wires change with 'break in' but it does get away from the ping pong ball approach of bumping electrons, taught in high school. It allows for more interesting concepts and complications in current flow, and resistivity or change in resistivity,(which is more important).

Thanks for the reference to the book. Yes, I really am interested in learning new things (imagine that!). I don't expect to be spoon fed - I will even buy the book and read it myself rather than asking my wife to read it to me. John, I'm sorry you have a chip on your shoulder. We have never had contact before and you didn't leave a great first impression here.

As far as doing the listening test, if I notice a difference after a break-in period, I still have no understanding why that would happen. With understanding comes the knowledge to take things further and maybe create even more improvement.

Bill, please understand, I can't give you all the answers in an easy form to understand and follow. That is what I meant by 'spoon feeding'. However, most real understanding comes from noting something and LATER attempting to understand it. Rather than reading something in a book and noting it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.