Burn In speakercable - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2009, 12:22 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

lol - directional cables again... His instructions are electro-babble. The only reasonable and supportable bit is the instruction to avoid running cables near AC feeds etc.

They may be "completely normal" behavoiurs to the audiophile believers, but then so is self-flagelation to the religiophiles in the catholic church. Psychologists would have a field day.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:39 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

I use Cardas speaker wire, myself. It works OK. Recently, over the last 2 years, I have been using Cardas solder. I like it. I rarely use Bruce Bisson's wire, as I find it too soft for my taste, but I have heard the difference. I tend to use VandenHul hookup wire, when I can't get quality silver wire. Of course, I only do audio for a living and have a reputation for quality. However, that doesn't mean that I know what I am talking about, but please understand, on a level playing field, many of you would have less experience, education, or understanding than I do, on this subject.

Last edited by john curl; 23rd December 2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:47 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

hiya john - I've no doubt there is a difference in BBs cables - he puts an LCR network of some sort on each cable. Still don't understand the need for a month of burn-in and interestingly, it is burn in that cannot be done at the factory so to speak. Now, I figure the only thing of any consequence NOT at the factory is the person listening - everything else can be emulated.

So, whats changing during this burn-in period? It sure as s++t isn't the cable...
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:53 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Study the physics of metals, rather than engineering might give you greater insight.
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:33 AM   #35
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

So John,

In 200 words or less can you tell us what is happening during an alleged break in? The two certified metallurgists who happen to be involved with electronics I speak with look at me sideways when I mention the subject. Same with cryo-treating.
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:48 AM   #36
Account disabled at member's request

...and Enabl...
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:15 AM   #37
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Study the physics of metals, rather than engineering might give you greater insight.
You're right, it did.
Old 23rd December 2009, 02:41 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

No. But I will recommend some reading, if anyone is interested.
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:10 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

only if its marketing stuff John - something that explains why any company with a vested interest in making its product as good as possible under their own control would leave the last bit of the process - burning in - to the vague and variable quality control of a customer?

Its illogical from a business sense without even going into a deep discussion on possible sub-atomic changes.

Lets face it - if there was a business advantage to supplying pre-burnt in components, it would be happening. Moreover, since doing so is relatively cheap, you would assume that if there was a market leader out there doing it, the others would quickly follow.

Unless they KNEW that the effect is a psycho-acoustic one, not an electro-acoustic one.

The whole diatribe on burning in on BBs site is not dissimilar to a catechism - building an expectation of dramatic lifechanging differences on the basis of following a process set out by the Master.

I could be wrong. Show me if I am. I am open to it. I just feel that Occam points to a more basic explanation.
Old 23rd December 2009, 03:17 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

If you won't study physics, then maybe you should leave the question alone, because you prefer to live in ignorance.

Hide this!Advertise here!