Burn In speakercable - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2009, 09:55 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

You don't have to burn in your cables. I have a liquid potion that works just as well. In addition to this, the liquid potion only needs to be applied once (but carefully) and will prevent your expensive cables from burning out as well.

PM me if interested.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:22 PM   #22
Banned

Congratulations, your snake-oil-purveyor-trap has been sprung...

A potion, huh? Haven't come across one of those since D&D (which has gone out of fashion a bit now we've all got domains and daemons of our own). Does it come in a vial? Or a phial perhaps? Things that work on a magical principle often come in exotically named containers; e.g love potions, sleeping potions. I'm quite getting into the idea of a potion, it's got pot-ential. That's as in voltage not as in bong.

Ever since I heard of them I thought 'THIS is a perfect application for Quantum Dots'.

w

got a few xformers here, an xmitter or two, some xtals, so it's happy xmas to everybody
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:46 PM   #23
culture is offline culture  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Funy thing people keep discussing the mechnical propertjes of cables etc but never discuss the mechanical properties of the eardrums and the grees on it. It my guess this has a much bigger effect than burning any sort of cable

cheers

c.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:20 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider View Post
Another hifi-legend based on some truth and a lot of rubbish. Some passive components really do need a long burn-in, like big "nullohmspuhlen" & tinfiol-caps. Cables might change more or less, depending on "construction".
I`m using really thick solid core as speakerwires, and the copper shure needs to be played rough for about one hour to open up, definitly wery audible.

Seems like every material has some static load that needs to be scared away, more or less
Played rough? Scare away "static loads"? What did you wear, a gimp mask? Threaten them with some Megadeath? Only play poorly recorded Appalachian Mountain banjo music for an hour?

ffs....

ITS YOUR EARS AND BRAIN THAT CHANGED!
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:26 AM   #25
DanSki is offline DanSki  Australia
diyAudio Member

lol

i just rubbed tiger balm on mine
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:31 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Only play poorly recorded Appalachian Mountain banjo music for an hour
Now, now don't knock it til you try it. I'd rather listen to Alan Lomax's field recordings any day than participate in a burned-in/not burned-in cable DBT.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:48 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Bruce Brisson's instructions on burn-in are completely normal. We do it all the time, even as I write this.
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:04 AM   #28
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Question... to all those that "believe" in burning in. Why do you always think the "sound" gets better. Why not worse ?
After a few months of burn-in my output tubes always sound worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
It begs the general difference/preference question. The $10,000 cables "always" sound better than the $100 ones, no matter what makes them $10000.
Hmmm, and I prefer an unshielded twisted pair of solid silver hookup wires worth ~$40 to anything else. I must be the contrarian's contrarian.
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:10 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I have a wimpy Belden AC cable that sounded better than a much more expensive cable. I was surprised, but there it was.
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:17 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Bruce Brisson's instructions on burn-in are completely normal. We do it all the time, even as I write this.
He comes in right behind Cardas for unsupportable garbage physics.

Hide this!Advertise here!