Burn In speakercable - Page 137 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2012, 11:16 AM   #1361
diyAudio Member

I was thinking a lubricated mold and potting compound . I would use some heat shrink to indicate the wire function ( 1 mm visible above potting ) . The BCV 61/62 are great devices .

There is a metal which some call electron which might be called stainless silver ( 4% gold ) . I would imagine for this use not too expensive . I love silver , it almost asks the solder to flow . Even very tarnished silver is surprising OK as a conductor . Silver is used on very cheap Lorin rotary switches . I love them . If this electron was a plating metal we might have the best of all worlds . Although I have no evidence I have always suspected gold to be our slightly less good choice .
Old 16th September 2012, 12:42 PM   #1362
diyAudio Member

Both the original and replacement opamps in this case were SOIC. There is no DIP-8 version of the OPA1632. The only difference between the two arrangements was the ones I installed and the ones he installed. It could be argued that there was some sample-to-sample variation, but I think in actuality, it was purely perception of anticipated change.
Old 16th September 2012, 01:02 PM   #1363
diyAudio Member

Brian . DF96 reminded us of that . Elsewhere we discussed blind testing . I was told years ago that if an identical thing is played twice the second time sounds brighter . This is not totally psychological , it is just how we function . To wire into the brain would be a step ( not me ) .

I remember doing calibration tests of a Nakamichi Dragon . With care I could get TDK D to be as good as metal tape . I even did tests which confirmed it with headphones . The next day I listened again . The TDK D recordings were poor compared with Maxell MX metal tape . Too many identical tests switched of my discerning ability . I could almost swear they sounded identical the day before . I wasn't obviously fatigued I should add . The difference was not subtle . The Dragon makes most EQ differences minimal . All were Dolby so as not to automatically disgrace TDK D . All were 0VU max where possible and identical . All from Teac CD player if memory correct .

Some people claim to see colours when hearing music . Brain scanners prove it to be true . Other light up musical recognition regions when reading music as if hearing it . There is so much to learn .

Hide this!Advertise here!