Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It was not inconsistent that day, we got very repeatable distortion when swapping, but the order of distortion between cables (iow, highest distortion to lowest distortion) was different than you had measured a few days before. You'd need to figure out why that is before calling the effects "real."

This may be far fetched.....

The reason for the results differing, day to day, may be the relative humidity, temperature, or the like.

I have to admit that I have no experience in this field myself, but a friend of mine, whom works on military radars, has told me they have a temperature and climate controlled room, for low level (or high frequency) measurements.

Magura :)

No one doubts measurable differences. If they do, they are wrong because measurements of differing phenomena can be clearly and repeatedly demonstrated under the strictest of objective conditions.
The point is, who cares??? You nor anyone else can hear the difference. You can only detect differences via measurement equipment. If this is about fidelity to the human ear, who cares if you can measure differences that you cannot hear?

very fitting description....so there...the parameters are set....
I think there may even be more objective evidence pointing toward the existence of UFO's.
Trust your lying ears, or trust the hear no difference people. Your choice.
That would be a paradox, because trusting *your* lying ears, you sir, can hear no difference either.

Let me try to make my assertion as simple and direct as I can.

John Curl (or anyone else) can not demonstrate under objective conditions that he can perceive a difference between 'burned-in' and non 'burned-in' cables.

John Curl, (or anyone else) can not demonstrate under objective conditions that he can perceive a difference between 'burned-in' or non burned in speaker cables, and an equal length and gauge of inexpensive A.C. extension cord.

John Curl (or anyone else) can not demonstrate under objective conditions that he can perceive a difference between generic budget audio interconnects of proper construction, and any other audio interconnect of the same length, gauge and proper construction using his sense of hearing alone. Burned in or not, regardless of cost, material used, etc.

I can further define what I mean if necessary, but I'm hopeful this clarifies.

Therefore, it is unwarranted and ridiculous to come to forums such as this and assert to people that they can tell a difference.

Incidentally, the James Randi Institute, offers one million U.S. dollars to ANYONE who thinks they CAN show that they hear any difference.

Last edited:
Quote without comment: "... a minority group now cite conductor and interconnect performance as a limiting factor within an audio system. The masses, however, are still content to congregate with their like-minded friends and make jokes in public about the vision of the converted, content to watch their distortion factor meters confidently null at the termination of any old piece of wire. Believing in Ohm's law, they feel strong in their brotherhood." This was written by a Ph'D professor of engineering, more than 24 years ago. Sound familiar? Notice any similarity here? Anybody learn anything yet?

Quote without comment: "... a minority group now cite conductor and interconnect performance as a limiting factor within an audio system. The masses, however, are still content to congregate with their like-minded friends and make jokes in public about the vision of the converted, content to watch their distortion factor meters confidently null at the termination of any old piece of wire. Believing in Ohm's law, they feel strong in their brotherhood." This was written by a Ph'D professor of engineering, more than 24 years ago. Sound familiar? Notice any similarity here? Anybody learn anything yet?

Yes:

Anecdotes were also around, 24 years ago.

Magura :)

About the same time as this Professor gave his opinion on the situation, another Professor, Dr. Lipshitz, criticized me in the same publication. I have to find his exact response, and it was not about wires, but capacitors.
Dr. Lipshitz said: (in paraphrase) that my math was OK, my measurements were OK, BUT it didn't matter, because cap differences were not detectable anyway, and this could be proven by 'objective testing'. Oh well, back to the drawing board, and all my competitors, especially those with more capitalization or even a better education, please heed his words carefully and don't bother to use better components. After all, my income comes from people liking and buying my designs, even if they are not conveniently available at your local discount store. '-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.