RF remote control of UNCOMPRESSED WAVs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm REALLY starting to get annoyed that there's NO WAY i can find to remote control uncompressed audio on my bicycle stereo system! i'm also annoyed that information on technologies that would allow me to do so are so hard to find.

i've looked into PMPs streaming via bluetooth & wifi once i learned that both techs aren't synonyms for "internet" only to learn that they also degrade sound quality and are absolutely useless!

A LOT of technology is geared towards ipods, but that's a dead end as ipods use hard drives that can't be used near unshielded subs and refuse to play WAVs anyways.

sonos sounds good on paper until you learn it won't work without computers

car stereos now let you use your PMPs and flash drives, and marine ones even use RF remotes, but NONE of THEM will let you use WAVs either!

just try to find an off the shelf RF preamp/volume control! sure, circuit benders can build them, but if you don't build circuits, it sucks to be you

every single time i learn of a promising technology, it suffers some fatal flaw that makes it absolutely useless

- you need to read a dozen books to learn how to build it yourself

- it won't work with full fidelity uncompressed WAVs or trashes them in transmission

- requires hard drives or computers that can't take being bumped around or magnetic fields

- use USELESS infrared (my trailer is BEHIND my bike & all gear is under fabric)

- are married to crappy sounding WAV hating overpriced and overrated ipod

etc.

i've tried to find gear that will do this seemingly IMPOSSIBLE task at 2 other forums to no avail. i refuse to believe that there's no way to remote control flash memory with RF using WAVs. if 24/96 & 1/192 have been around 10+ years, i shouldn't have to settle for evil mp3 crap now!

please.... someone tell me there's a way to do this SIMPLE task without having NASA build it for me! having to stop my bike every time i want to change tracks or volume on my cowon media player (which DOES WAVs) is not acceptable.

i used to hate mp3 for being a step in the wrong direction when 24/96 was finally available (and for basically killing it off), but now i'm starting to despise it violently for killing mediocre 16/44.1 off too!

i'm ALMOST inclined to look into remote control cars technology to build a 'robot' that pushes the buttons on my cowon by remote! there has to be a better way. there has to.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, despite kenwood & alpine techs BOTH stating they can't play WAVs & inquiries at several car & marine stereo shops online, i found that at least SOME pioneer premier decks will play WAVs off my Cowon U5 & let me navigate with no problems.

it IS doable afterall. all i'd need to do is get a universal RF to IR remote to make it work.

i might even be able to find a way to wire the IR repeater into the back of the deck so i don't have to mount it back a few inches to mount a repeater in front of it. i'll have to redesign my trailer to accommodate the the deck, but on the upside, the units have cool looking blue retro VU meters that will add "bling" to the system and compliment the electric blue plasmaspheres.

i'd have preferred a system that better integrates with navigating folders, but at least i've found a WORKABLE solution now

The $20 2 gig thumbdrive player I got at Staples plays wavs. The free Ipod 3G (nearly dead battery) that I got off Freecycle plays flac, once it's been "upgraded" with Rockbox. Shielding and shock-mounting an iPod shouldn't be hard, and it opens up a wide choice of control options.

shielding the ipod would defeat the RF capability making the ipod useles. besides that, ipods are total crap because they won't play WAVs and i'm NOT wasting an extra hour converting EVERY mix i make for a night's riding to apple lossless AND ipod sound quality is crap anyways eg. 65dB S/N.

i totally agree that they have the best controllers, but i want to use WAVs as-is "drag & drop" style. i HAVE considered them, but i want the absolute BEST fidelity possible and a car stereo deck isn't going to have shabby D/A converters, will allow some EQ tweaking (until i get a 31 band parametric), put out the right power level to the amps (mp3 players have skimpy headphone level amps, line level is higher) and best of all, i'd be able to turn my amps on with the deck's remote switch instead of having to reach inside the trailer and flip the circuit breaker's switch i originally intended to use.

now that i know pioneer premier car stereo decks will do WAVs without complaining via USB (even though their not advertised as doing that) i'll just get one & eventually a cheap 32gb or larger thumb drive to hold a bunch of mixes ready for any situation or mood.

i'll see if i can get the pioneer's IR remote to work with the deck with mirrors reflecting back. i'll be able to easily see if the deck's receiving IR by putting a cheap camera with IR in front of the deck's receiver. if i can't get that to work, plan B is to get a logitech harmony remote with an optional RF to IR converter and beam THAT back at the car stereo deck. i might even end up hacking the IR converter so it's LED is mounted in the trailer's "hitch beam"

another reason i like that approach is that the premier decks have REALLY cool looking retro electric blue VU meters that would add a little "bling" to my trailer.

thanks for your help, but an ipod is just too fussy for my needs even though almost EVERY accessory i'd want to use with my Cowon only works with ipod. the PMP i'd REALLY like is kenwood's EXPENSIVE "sound keg" if i went that route as it's supposed to have excellent SQ, but i'm sure a car stereo deck would have very close SQ. my Cowon's SQ isn't shabby at all. it only loses a little bit of HF air & imaging compared to my respectable sony DVD player's analogue outs in direct A/B comparisons.

i'm considering using my cowon software's "music visualization" software that came with the CD on a pair of video monitors too. one good sized monitor is actually CHEAPER than 4 small LED "color organs".

before any of this happens though, i need to either find storage for the trailer, or a ground floor apartment. i'm going to confront my rental agency about signing a lease in a couple days. i think i'll have to give them notice. i already wasted THIS YEAR waiting for them to free up the storage unit they told me they'd rent out after they build a new one for their lawnmower etc. i could have been rolling in fall of '07 if it wasn't the start of the rainy season.

shielding the ipod would defeat the RF capability making the ipod useles. besides that, ipods are total crap because they won't play WAVs and i'm NOT wasting an extra hour converting EVERY mix i make for a night's riding to apple lossless AND ipod sound quality is crap anyways eg. 65dB S/N.

Let's see now... You're listening to speakers on a moving bicycle and you're complaining about a device with a 65 dB S/N? Classic iPods (hard drive models) have sound quality far better than your application needs.

(I wish there was a smilie for "walks away, shaking head"...)

no, i WON'T be on a moving bicycle. the whole point of the system is PARKING downtown around all the cookie cutter nightclubs that will only play soulless techno & gangsta crap... never ANYTHING upbeat & funky.

my trailer is meant to be a portable DISCO & will have light towers with 4 LED projectors to get the ladies dancing. the entire system is geared towards no compromise sound quality eg. evil boomy bass ports. *shudder* every step away from neutrality & SQ ads up. i'm aiming to have SQ that embarrasses big buck car & truck systems (as heard by people on the street) & ESPECIALLY nightclubs.

the S/N ratio on ipods is the only spec i can quote, but i've read reviws stating they don't sound that great and that the latest generation sounds even worse than the earliest units. the point is moot, ipods won't play WAVs and i refuse to own anything that won't. i had to ARGUE with the crooks at creative labs about returning media players advertised as playing WAVs but that didn't. (except off a mic in lofi mono)

ipods CAN be made to sound good with external D/A converters like the wadias, but refusing to let me play WAVs is unforgiveable. besides that, ipods are overpriced poseur fodder. i bought my nice little cowon for a fraction of the price of a comparable ipod & my S/N is 95dB! 30dB is an HUGE difference. even moving coil phono preamps aren't that bad.

i won't need a PMP anyways. USB sticks are dirt cheap.

car stereos now let you use your PMPs and flash drives, and marine ones even use RF remotes, but NONE of THEM will let you use WAVs either!

for what it's worth, despite kenwood & alpine techs BOTH stating they can't play WAVs & inquiries at several car & marine stereo shops online, i found that at least SOME pioneer premier decks will play WAVs off my Cowon U5 & let me navigate with no problems.

Besides Pioneer (and not only their premier decks) there are also a couple of Kenwood car headunits from the last generation (the current units seem to don`t do WAV anymore.....) that do WAVs from USB (harddrives or sticks) and have a remote control. The display and navigation is also decent, considering the limited space of a car unit. Look for KDC-7537U or KDC-W9537U, at least this are the model numbers over here in Europe. There might be named differently in US though.

none of the kenwoods at the local stereo shop would play WAVs and when i asked if they would BEFORE that from kenwood's tech support, i was told no too.

it's TRUE that nightclubbers aren't that concerned with SQ, but i am. if i had the finances, i'd run 4x 8" sealed subs for maximum bass speed and expensive Bohlender Graebener planar mids & tweeters or even SUPER EXPENSIVE ribbon tweeters for both my trailer (a showcase & advertisement for...) and my DJ rig. maximum sound quality is just a "minor detail", but it's very important to me. i DESPISE the sound of ported subs for example.

i'm familiar with FLAC (that's what i meant when i said "apple lossless") but refuse to waste time i shouldn't have to converting WAVs to yet ANOTHER format when i shouldn't have to. i just want to remix WAVs in audacity and drag them straight into my (future) USB stick directly as well as save my mixes to CD. refusing to play WAVs is just an assault on fair use that i refuse to indulge a micrometer.

if anyone's interested at looking at my system, there are a couple rough draft mockups for trailers along with pics of my bike & the gear i'll be using at my street party bikes website. the trailer, as my plans for it now are, will be ENTIRELY covered in the chrome sequined fabric without the wood trim & EL wire, but possibly with similar 9 square LED color morphing "light organs", a single larger DIY version with up to 64 lights, or even a pair of video screens showing the cool graphics that cowon's "music visualization" software (similar to what windows media player does).

i haven't done a mockup of the "light tower" i'm planning yet though. it will sit in the middle of the trailer on 4" tall cardboard cement molds with SOME sort of lighting effect with the four LED projectors pointing down & out to at 45 degree angles. i have plans for putting EL wire on the bike in a way no-one has done yet that's "top secret" lest someone use the idea before i do.

if ladies would go nuts just over the fugly saddlebag system with just a single "rave spinner" light i was using in '07, or my beach cruiser with no lights or effects other than an EL teeshirt, putting it all together in an excellent sounding package that won't get drowned out rolling by nightclubs might FINALLY create a demand for music that doesn't suck.

my whole reason for doing this is because oregon DJs are clueless about FUNKY beats and avoid them like the plague POSING as thugs. in the NY "hood" i escaped from, they'd get their hinies jacked posing like that. even REAL gangstas listen to hollaback girl & pon de replay, but not these suburban gangsta pretenders.

i TRIED getting a gig DJing at a club and couldn't get past the house (wannabe gangsta poseur) DJ who insisted on refusing to play atomic dog etc. in favor of attitudal songs like "if you're a scared mother(effer) go to church" & "i'm bossy" etc. there's just an entrenched mindset in local clubs that needs to be challenged. i've seen ladies responding to all sorts of FUN tunes that local jocks won't play like play that funky music, my sharona & disco in general. i'm making a stand against sucky DJ clones & music that has no heart.

i have a saying,
"All of the DJs in Oregon COMBINED wouldn't know FUNKY if they watched 100 NY DJs tripping over it!"

if you can't join 'em... beat 'em

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
none of the kenwoods at the local stereo shop would play WAVs and when i asked if they would BEFORE that from kenwood's tech support, i was told no too.

it's TRUE that nightclubbers aren't that concerned with SQ, but i am. if i had the finances, i'd run 4x 8" sealed subs for maximum bass speed and expensive Bohlender Graebener planar mids & tweeters or even SUPER EXPENSIVE ribbon tweeters for both my trailer (a showcase & advertisement for...) and my DJ rig. maximum sound quality is just a "minor detail", but it's very important to me. i DESPISE the sound of ported subs for example.

i'm familiar with FLAC (that's what i meant when i said "apple lossless") but refuse to waste time i shouldn't have to converting WAVs to yet ANOTHER format when i shouldn't have to. i just want to remix WAVs in audacity and drag them straight into my (future) USB stick directly as well as save my mixes to CD. refusing to play WAVs is just an assault on fair use that i refuse to indulge a micrometer.

if anyone's interested at looking at my system, there are a couple rough draft mockups for trailers along with pics of my bike & the gear i'll be using at my street party bikes website. the trailer, as my plans for it now are, will be ENTIRELY covered in the chrome sequined fabric without the wood trim & EL wire, but possibly with similar 9 square LED color morphing "light organs", a single larger DIY version with up to 64 lights, or even a pair of video screens showing the cool graphics that cowon's "music visualization" software (similar to what windows media player does).

i haven't done a mockup of the "light tower" i'm planning yet though. it will sit in the middle of the trailer on 4" tall cardboard cement molds with SOME sort of lighting effect with the four LED projectors pointing down & out to at 45 degree angles. i have plans for putting EL wire on the bike in a way no-one has done yet that's "top secret" lest someone use the idea before i do.

if ladies would go nuts just over the fugly saddlebag system with just a single "rave spinner" light i was using in '07, or my beach cruiser with no lights or effects other than an EL teeshirt, putting it all together in an excellent sounding package that won't get drowned out rolling by nightclubs might FINALLY create a demand for music that doesn't suck.

my whole reason for doing this is because oregon DJs are clueless about FUNKY beats and avoid them like the plague POSING as thugs. in the NY "hood" i escaped from, they'd get their hinies jacked posing like that. even REAL gangstas listen to hollaback girl & pon de replay, but not these suburban gangsta pretenders.

i TRIED getting a gig DJing at a club and couldn't get past the house (wannabe gangsta poseur) DJ who insisted on refusing to play atomic dog etc. in favor of attitudal songs like "if you're a scared mother(effer) go to church" & "i'm bossy" etc. there's just an entrenched mindset in local clubs that needs to be challenged. i've seen ladies responding to all sorts of FUN tunes that local jocks won't play like play that funky music, my sharona & disco in general. i'm making a stand against sucky DJ clones & music that has no heart.

i have a saying,
"All of the DJs in Oregon COMBINED wouldn't know FUNKY if they watched 100 NY DJs tripping over it!"

if you can't join 'em... beat 'em

Sounds like a good plan. Just that this infatuation with wav's has you holding up and taking all your energy from getting the thing GOING. Looks like it's the MUSIC these babes are longing for, not the encoding ;-)
I suggest you review your priorities.

jd

again... the assault against fair (WAVs) use should not be tolerated any more than the acceptance of "planned obsolescence" by the computer industry. i will fight becoming a mere "money making device" for big business to the death. the only reason that gear won't do WAVs is that there's a conspiracy to wipe out fair use & copying of high quality audio. heck, the industry doesn't even like mp3.

the whole reason that things are the way they are is that people like you are so willing to "drink the kool aid" so to speak. i'm not having it.

yes, i'm the kind of person who will do things "the hard way" to stand on principle and spend $100 in legal fees to fight over a dollar.

i don't even see what your issue is. the pioneers do exactly what i want along with adding functionality to my system (remote on/off for amps). my original plan was to go with CD changers until i learned that not all PMPs are "mp3 only". an 8gb media player holds about the equivalent of a dozen CDs, but without moving parts that break, or disks that skip. 64gb is PLENTY of storage space.

the reason the world is so crappy over so many things including global warming is that people are just so willing to "go with the program" and accept whatever evil greedy corporations dictate. you're fortunate to live in a country with socialized medicine, but here, the evil corporations that care NOTHING about healthcare, only just how much money they can make off everyone have managed to convince a fair number of people that socialized medicine is bad (because it threatens THEIR profits). many people can't seem to separate taxes on the wealthy with THEIR taxes.

the system MUST be challenged even if there are too many sheep to actually defeat it.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
again... the assault against fair (WAVs) use should not be tolerated any more than the acceptance of "planned obsolescence" by the computer industry. i will fight becoming a mere "money making device" for big business to the death. the only reason that gear won't do WAVs is that there's a conspiracy to wipe out fair use & copying of high quality audio. heck, the industry doesn't even like mp3.

the whole reason that things are the way they are is that people like you are so willing to "drink the kool aid" so to speak. i'm not having it.

yes, i'm the kind of person who will do things "the hard way" to stand on principle and spend $100 in legal fees to fight over a dollar.

i don't even see what your issue is. the pioneers do exactly what i want along with adding functionality to my system (remote on/off for amps). my original plan was to go with CD changers until i learned that not all PMPs are "mp3 only". an 8gb media player holds about the equivalent of a dozen CDs, but without moving parts that break, or disks that skip. 64gb is PLENTY of storage space.

the reason the world is so crappy over so many things including global warming is that people are just so willing to "go with the program" and accept whatever evil greedy corporations dictate. you're fortunate to live in a country with socialized medicine, but here, the evil corporations that care NOTHING about healthcare, only just how much money they can make off everyone have managed to convince a fair number of people that socialized medicine is bad (because it threatens THEIR profits). many people can't seem to separate taxes on the wealthy with THEIR taxes.

the system MUST be challenged even if there are too many sheep to actually defeat it.

Well I have no issue at all. I thought you wanted wav for the sound quality, and complained that equipment doesn't do wav. I gave an alternative that gives the same sound quality (flac). Now you seem to say it's not about the sound quality but about those bad corporations.
Maybe you should first get your disco installation going, if you want that, and THEN start your war on corporations?

But anyway, I wish you success in your endeavours. Merry Xmas and a Happy 2010!

jd

yes, i know that FLAC along with a couple other formats are LOSSLESS, but converting formats is an unnecessary EXTRA step whose sole purpose seems to be making life difficult. if a CD deck will play WAVs on CDs, refusing to do so on USB sticks is merely spiteful.

if you hadn't noticed yet, i'm pretty much a total go against the flow iconoclast in general
- i ride bikes & refuse to own a car
- i won't touch mp3 or ipods
- my DJ system uses acoustic suspension & cones/domes only with no concessions to high efficiency
- and the WAV issue

surrendering and PAYING a company to make life more difficult is just a compromise i'm unwilling to make. only companies that give me EXACTLY what i want deserve my business. i won't hold it against pioneer that their marine remotes are wired only vs RF as many other companies do that too. besides, i really love that VU display. it reminds me of a smaller version of mc intosh VU meters which i'd love to show off on a "show trailer" if i ever won the lottery. i bought crappy EL panels that were supposed to be RTAs (EQ displays) but turned out to be crappy VU meters that didn't even work well posing as RTAs so the pioneer decks really agree with me on an aesthetic level besides accomodating my WAVs only goal. having to convert a 5 hour mix from WAV to FLAC or AIC etc. every night i go out wastes too much time. audacity doesn't do anything but WAV or super lofi mp3 (there's no way to do 256+ with it). simply dragging & dropping files on a USB stick is the way things should be for ALL media players etc.

like i said, i won't PAY anyone to inconvenience me. i'd rather go without. i don't need remote control THAT bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.