IS Parts Express making fake product reviews ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So i'm planning on building a new set of speakers and have been away from diyaudio bit for a year or so. So I go to partsexpress.com and notice they've got product reviews and ratings now, which seemed great. However it seems like every product in their inventory has at least a few ratings and reviews. And many of the product reviews sound exactly the same like "I used this driver to replace a blown one in my xyz speaker system" And one other thing all the reviews are like 4 stars and up. How the heck I'm i really supposed to tell if a speaker will be a good performer or not when they all basically have the same rating. I read somewhere that some major online vendors had gotten busted for producing false reviews and ratings on their products, I hope partsexpress is'nt doing the same, as they have been a good business in my opinion. Anyways just a little observation, what do you guys think ?

I have heard a fair number of speakers that used PE drivers, designed by people that are very good and can say confidently that the PE products are capable of producing excellent results. The Dayton line of drivers are affordable and priced low enough that the aspiring designer will have no problem with the potential that these products offer.

Are they as good as anything available? I don't think so, having been around a number of people that actually design drivers, I know that a lot more is possible in the way of overall quality, the materials used and the motor design but it comes at a price. With most multiway speakers, the crossover is the single most, crucial element that will spell success or failure of the overall design.
How many times have you seen someone post a question asking what the best drivers are, because they intend to build a top-of-line, SOTA speaker and are determined to be satisfied with nothing less? Usually, when they are questioned about the size of the room, associated gear, type of music listened to and even spl's necessary for what they have in mind, the tone of the OP starts to change.

I tend to categorize these OPs into two broad groups:
(1) Those that will eventually get it.
(2) Those that, evidently, never will.

Number One will begin to understand that there is no single best driver for every situation, and that a fair number of intelligent compromises must be used in the design. The realization that it's a lot harder to actually design a speaker than they initially thought may come slowly, but they're intelligent and honest enough to finally admit that their skill level isn't up to the task.
On most forums, it will be suggested that they try a kit or a tested design to start with. They will follow this advice and end up with a speaker that is usually far better than they ever expected. If they find this interesting, they begin reading books on speaker design, testing and generally studying anything that aids in their understanding of the design process. They download freeware and while learning to use it, start to see the relationship between certain parameters and what effects happen when you change one parameter of the T/S specs.
This is the path to enlightenment and eventually, expertise!

Our second "Type" is far more robust than the first person, as he already has all the answers and just needs to fill in a couple of the blanks. When he's told that there is no single best woofer, midrange or tweeter and it's all a compromise, he becomes angry, often suspecting that those that respond are jealous of his intention to spend money on the best and are withholding the information that he needs to accomplish his desire. Snide remarks or even insults are hurled towards those that would thwart his ambition to have the very best, by their suggestions to start with a lesser design. It becomes obvious that these forum creeps don't know with whom they're dealing!
Having been told from an early age (usually by their mother) that they're smarter, better looking, more talented and generally much superior in every way, the realization of their extremely important personal desires is denied them. They begin throwing things around, smashing lamps and furniture, like they have always done to get their own way (it always worked at home!), until they eventually move on.

Now, I say "eventually move on" because some of us refuse to let you guys get the last word and will not give in! It's getting to the point that the cost of repairing broken windows and furniture is approaching what I was willing to expend on the very best drivers. My lawyer informs me I can't sue those who would hold back the information I need, although having been our family's attorney for many years, he's certainly aware of how special I really am, as is my psychiatrist.

I'm going to give all of you (especially Cal Weldon!) one last chance to post a list of the best drivers. If I don't see this list by the end of today, I will be forced to use my Super Powers, and believe me you'll all be sorry! While spending all those years at that special "school" my parents sent me to, I read many comic books, until I realized that I also had Special Super Powers that I can harness to defeat those whom would deny me.

I'll be checking this forum later today, right after my electroshock treatments, so don't disappoint me!

Yours Truly,
Albert Einstein
Room 322
Western State Hospital

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now Mr Einstein, you just relax and roll onto your side. The nurse has something special for you and you'll only feel a slight prick.

There, does that feel better? Good.

Now, the best drivers as you know are the ones that cost you pennies on the dollar compared with the esoteric kind and offer satisfaction in ways the expensive ones cannot. You, being the genius you are, have won many a contest for the best sounding for the least amount spent category. I only hope that as I continue to increase my skill portfolio that I will one day have an offering of a similar nature and that you, being as gracious as you are, will laud the effort as we do for you.

One of my favourite quotes of yours:

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. <snip>"

Your faithful servant,
Cal the Humble.

Albert,

I give up.... I don't usually impart this level of knowledge to any newbie that comes along, never mind offer them one of my prototype speaker designs.

Your needs seem very real though and I can tell you obviously have the "magic ears" that can only be satisfied by first class, audiophile quality and craftsmanship.

I have been working on this set of 5.1 Surround Sound speakers for the last 5 years and now I have completed them realise that I must let them go and allow the audiophile community to hear such elegance. It's just not right selfishly holding onto such masterpieces.

I should give you some idea of what I am offering you here. These are not your run of the mill wooden boxes.

Just finding and preparing the materials alone took a 6 month expedition. They are made from a very special material that can only be found in extreme cold locations. Actually, the materials for these speakers came from a cave in the Artic circle. You may have heard of it before, Cryptonminium? Superman (who I believe is a friend of yours) uses a derivative called Cryptonite for his own super powers.

Anyway, what people don't know is that the material is acoustically inert and very strong. I had to carve the enclosures with a special tungsten cutting bit. The fibers that were used in the cones are individually glued and woven using end-to-end gold fish poo. Cost me a fortune as I had to feed them very expensive Tetrafin gold fish food, I know, I know but it was the only food that would give the right consistency.

Below is a url that leads to a photo of a one off deal that I am prepared to offer you and only you. If you can simply paaypal me over the sum of $4000.00 I know so cheap! but you with you special powers and magic ears, its worth it just knowing that they are going to such a fine home.

http://www.divincisound.com/surrne2.jpg

col.

P.S. I can arrange to have the speakers dropped off by a white van tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.