diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/)
-   -   Speaker Shop location [Edit: Now open at 1578 Eglinton Ave West Toronto] (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/15469-speaker-shop-location-edit-now-open-1578-eglinton-ave-west-toronto.html)

Doug 22nd May 2003 09:44 AM

Speaker Shop location [Edit: Now open at 1578 Eglinton Ave West Toronto]

Do any of you Canadians on this forum know what happened to The Speaker Shop on Eglington Ave. in Toronto? Been shopping there for years and I went down there on Saturday and it was all gone. There was no notice to tell people that they had moved to another location:confused:

Does anyone know of any other shop that supplies raw loudspeakers and crossover components, say within 100 km's of Toronto.

Thanks, Doug:)

* Moderator's note, January 4, 2013:
See post #25 and contact by email here:
frank@speakershop.ca

davesaudio 22nd May 2003 10:39 PM

theres one in guelph

transducer 23rd May 2003 12:07 AM

They only closed their retail store on Eglinton. Apparently they have a factory somewhere in the GTA, and plan on having a corner set up as a store. Try calling them, either with the old number, or call the operator and ask for a new one.

There's Q Components in Waterloo, 800-363-6336, and Solen in Montreal.

Ron

davesaudio 23rd May 2003 04:20 AM

q components- thats the one I was thinking about
went off to verify and got lost.:o
mailorder from madisound is still cheapest/best selection in my opinion

so he builds his "max" line at this factory?

Peter Daniel 23rd May 2003 08:30 PM

Here's the address to their new place, although it's not called Speaker Shop anymore:

25 Curry St., Toronto
416-285-5585 (ask for Tom)

Doug 24th May 2003 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by transducer
They only closed their retail store on Eglinton. Apparently they have a factory somewhere in the GTA, and plan on having a corner set up as a store. Try calling them, either with the old number, or call the operator and ask for a new one.

There's Q Components in Waterloo, 800-363-6336, and Solen in Montreal.

Ron

The Speaker Shop has moved to 25 Curity Ave. in Toronto. (416) 782-4451 They are on the corner of St. Clair Ave. and O'Connor Drive. They are associated with The Canadian Loudspeaker Corp. They do have a factory also that makes the MAX speaker line.

To the fellow who said that there was a loudspeaker store in Guelph is mistaken as I am not aware of any.

Thanks Guys;
Doug
AUDIO BY DESIGN
Guelph, Ont.

Peter Daniel 24th May 2003 07:48 AM

If the information I presented previously is incorrect, I apologise, since it was given to me not from direct source and I never dealt with Speaker Shop guys..

Doug 24th May 2003 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peter Daniel
If the information I presented previously is incorrect, I apologise, since it was given to me not from direct source and I never dealt with Speaker Shop guys..
No harm done Peter. I wish there was one in Guelph :) I drove down to Toronto on Saturday and was surprised to see The Speaker Shop closed. Never thought at the time to call the old number. DUH!! I had not been there in awhile. I used to buy JBL Pro drivers there. He is also the distributor for the BEYMA line. The owner there is Frank Fabian.

Doug

Peter Daniel 24th May 2003 08:13 AM

Actually I dealt with them once, when they had a store on Younge St. I guess the year was 1991 and I bought a subwoofer from them. The sound wasn't what I expected and from now on all my dealings were done with Zalytron on Long Island. I've been to Elliot's place many times (usually on Saturday;)). The prices are better than local guys and I never had to pay duties.
My friends, who gave me the contact info, are buying Beyma drivers from Speaker Shop and are very satisfied with the service. The drivers sound good too.;)

Doug 24th May 2003 08:20 AM

Speaker Shop

Hey, I thought I was the only fool up at this hour LOL

The Speaker Shop was on Yonge St. since way back in the early 70's. What subwoofer did you buy? Was it a raw driver or one in a box?

Doug