Thank You Peter Daniel and Everyone Else!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all I would like to thank you for recommending the Yardstore as a source of bulk surplus aluminum. www.yardstore.com
As I live in Wichita, Kansas I went there today and ended up buying two sheets (#1) 17 3/4" X 19 1/2" X 3/16" (#2) 4" X 14" X 1"
The first will end up being the bottom plate for an amplifier and the second will be the back panel/heat sink. The aluminum weighed 12.12 pounds and ended up costing $16.10 with tax. Their aluminum is $1.25 a pound.

I saw huge chunks of aluminum there and automatically had visions of drilling out and adding an inlet and outlet to the aluminum chunk and mounting an automobile radiator and electric fan for an awesome cooling method for the ultimate amplifier but my girlfriend said no!!!:bawling:

Secondly I would like to thank everyone here for peaking my interest again in audio. I am not currently employed because of health reasons and audio has given me a very positive way of keeping busy. In the past I was very much into car audio (installing and jamming) and it was when the internet was just getting it's beginning.

I lost interest when I turned to marijuana and ended up getting into trouble with the law:bawling: Well I ended up getting married, child,divorce and utter depression and dismay. I found this site and it has really helped me a lot.
I was an electronic technician before various health reasons caused me to quit working.
I am now in the process of signing up for classes next Spring majoring in Electrical Engineering.
I am sorry for being so windy but I am very greatful for this forum and others like it. If not for audio, I would probably be back into weed and in prison. Which is BS, in my opinion because I believe in legalization or at least decriminalization but that is not a topic for here.
So to sum it all up THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!:)

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
rdunnit said:
If not for audio, I would probably be back into weed and in prison. Which is BS, in my opinion because I believe in legalization or at least decriminalization but that is not a topic for here.

Not to go off topic, but you are not alone in that opinion. I used to smoke too, but simply stopped because I found that after years of use, marijuana started to make me feel depressed instead of high when I smoked it. I had no trouble walking away from it. Therefore, I too favor legalization.

I had no trouble with the law from it, but of course that was just luck, since I obvously had to possess it before I could smoke it. Unless, of course, I wanted to set up a complex series of maritime rendezvous in which I would go out in a boat beyond the three mile limit and meet someone else in another boat where the purchase would be made and the stuff consumed. Would give added meaning to the phrase High Seas. However, it would be difficult, considering I lived hundreds of miles inland at the time. :) :)

At any rate, I think it is wonderful that you put that part of your life behind you and that audio was the catalyst. By all means, keep coming back-we can definitely use your positive outlook around here. :up:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:^)

Attachments

• bcmjp.gif
    bcmjp.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 302
Yeah this site rocks. Mad props to whoever set it up (what is the history of it BTW?)

I spend way too much time here too...

By the way, the herb is like anything, good in moderation... But like all intoxicants it intensifies moods... If you are in a bad place in your life it is a bad idea to get wasted.

On the other hand, if all is going well... party on wayne! :)

I was in a good place in life when i got busted. I had a job and I was doing pretty decent. I lived on my family's farm 65 miles southeast of Dodge City at the time I got arrested. I sold some smoke to someone that I thought was a friend and had known for a long time. He even sold to me when he got smoke so I never thought about him being a narc. He ended up wearing a wire on 9 other people too. Well I ended up with very strict probation because of no prior drug arrests and also ended up with a felony. All for 1/4 ounce of herb. On the arrest sheet it said that the victim was the public.

I am sorry to get off topic here but man herb needs to be legalized in the US. The main reason that it is illegal today (in my opinion) is that the government makes too much money making it illegal (DEA agents,stings,etc). I love my country but there are some changes that need to be made. Hell our government could tax it like cigarettes and booze and pretty much take care of alot of our deficit not to mention help save family farms from becoming a thing of the past.

I am on all sorts of pills for depression and anxiety and I never was depressed or anxious when I smoked.

I love this forum because it gives me an outlet to vent frustrations, happiness and learn about my very favorite hobby of audio.

I would like to thank everyone again for the kind comments.

Robert

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rdunnit said:
The main reason that it is illegal today (in my opinion) is that the government makes too much money making it illegal (DEA agents,stings,etc).

The main reason it was made illegal was so that Dupont could recover his R&D and make a profit on his new-fangled synthetic cloth -- nylon. The illegalization was a real political sham, and wiped out a potentially multi-billion dollar agricultural industry.

And think of all the money saved on enforcement, money raised on taxes, etc. Not to mention that in one fell swoop much of the criminal element involved in the drug trade could be out of a job, ploice could concentrate on chasing real problems, something like a 1/3 of those incarerated in US prisons could be released (to the detriment of the growing US penal industry), and most important, kids would no longer look at a policeman and say "He could bust me, so he is the enemy", when they should be respecting them.

Economic realities will push the legitamization of the scared herb -- even if it is just so people can grow hemp which has less drug content than sugar and really is a miracle plant and could well be the salvation of many a farmer. (In BC it is the largest cash crop -- and most of that grown indoors -- legalize it and it losses 80% of its value, but then there is also no inflated cost to attract the criminal element).

In the US thou, it seems many that run the country cannot see, or are not interested in, the will of the people. Right now they are freaking because Canada is about to de-criminalize pot... not legalize it, but make it like speeding. About time. Something like 70-80% of Canadians think it is criminal that it is illegal. The next Prime Minister of Canada is, i believe, a one-time pot smoker (and some past PMs have for sure)... and i know of at least one Premier who definetly was (and more). These politicians are getting sick of their hypocracy and moving slowly (they can't move to fast for fear the elephant next door rolls over us)

dave

PS. i'll move this topic off to a new thread shortly, so don't be shy that it is OT.

well

I know that one US congressman did (does) smoke. I sold it to him. I have not smoked herb in twenty years now, but that has little to do with why it needs to be decriminalized. I also worked in a drug rehab clinic so I have seen the effects of drug abuse. That experiance just convinced me more that we need to do it.

Its just one more insane part of a totalitarian system the world is creating for all of us, without regard to the country you presently live in.

well this thread got sidetracked pretty well

so I know that hemp and marijuana are nearly to the point of being two different species now, but is hemp illegal to grow? I assume thats what you mean when you refer to nylon competition. how is it that I occasionally see hemp textiles?

another thing without going one way or another on the legalization issue is that marijuana clearly can cause depression. You may notice its effects only after you stop smoking, but it may be possible that the depression was brought on in part by marijuana. There's a near reverance that people have about it, and while it probably doesn't warrant all the sting oporations and tough sentences, marijuana is also not harmless. Anyone can spot a stoner even when they aren't high. I wonder why.

In any case, I know what depression is like, and its great when you can find anything enjoyable, especially when there are other people who share that enthuziasm

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: well this thread got sidetracked pretty well

Evaas said:
I assume thats what you mean when you refer to nylon competition. how is it that I occasionally see hemp textiles?

Grown in places where hemp in not illegal to grow. China, the Ukraine to name two.

It also plays the same kind of roll soy does in food production (+ it is even better for you). And like corn can be used to make ethanol... and a zillion other uses.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.