Windows 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was running Leopard which is super bloatware. Prior to selling the iMac I upgraded to Snow Leopard

Sadly Leopard was not Apple's best OS X release, and it really took more dot releases to get stable than any before it. Snow Leopard has lots of promise, but it is too early to dive into it for serious work. It is the transition to full 64 bit, and a lot of apps need revving as would be expected.

I'm happily using Tiger on all 3 of my Macs (wife is happy with Leopard). A new (used) intel arriving soon... i'll immediately jump that over Leopard to Snow Leopard.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah.... Snow Leopard worked a lot better, ran faster and lost a lot of fat.

Snow Leopard has 3 distinguishing features

0/ Apple, realizing that OS X was suffering from too much "renovation" and add-ons and instead of adding new features went under the hood and rewrote most of the OS, shrinking & optimizing huge swaths of code.
1/ full 64 bit (with no loss of support of 32-bit apps), with full support for multi-threading and multiple processors
2/ Completely lost support of legacy PowerPC machines (shedding a very large amount of bulk). It will still run many PPC aps but you have to install Rosetta, which by default is not installed.

dave

Just need one of the new 27" iMacs + an external 30 (expect a 27 soon -- the 30 is getting long of leg)... room for 4 1280x1024 windows side-by-side with room to spare on the bottom.

dave

I was drooloing over one of them 27" imac's those are nice, the new macmini server is NICE TOO! I love my macbook, the new ones with 7 hour &^ would be nice for me since i use mine for work all day.

Currently running macbook white with my nice 24" lcd :)

eww a sneaky Mac thread titled "Windows 7".. let's fix that

I was drooloing over one of them 27" imac's those are nice, the new macmini server is NICE TOO! I love my macbook, the new ones with 7 hour &^ would be nice for me since i use mine for work all day.

Currently running macbook white with my nice 24" lcd :)

You're the perfect target for Mac - you think of a computer as a whole, single solution. Macs are marketed directly at people who want to keep it simple (quite successfully of late) and buy a turnkey computer that requires nothing but what's inside the box when you buy it. You go to a store, look at the biggest, shiniest monitor and that's the one you pick. This is done to a certain extent with Dell/HP computers as well.

Most PC afficionados tend to look at a PC as a collection of components made up of OS', CPU's, RAM, hard drives, video cards, software and other doo-hickeys. They tend to want to custom order their parts, dig around inside the case and modify settings to get the most (acceptable) performance possible for whatever they plan to do with their PC.

There's a market niche for both type of person. Mac has clearly stepped up to fill the first niche that used to be dominated by PCs. The release of Vista coincided with a huge boost in Mac sales and you better believe Microsoft noticed (along with PC manufactuers) and Win 7 is designed to counteract that trend. I'm not a huge fan of PC's being so simple they just work (I repair PC's for a living!) but Win 7 seems to me to be a BIG step in that direction.

I personally had skipped using Vista and stuck to XP on my own machines until I came across the Win 7 Release Candidate. I know I'm certainly not alone in this as a HUGE majority of PC users did the same. I can definitely say that Windows 7 will buck this trend and you're going to see people flocking to it and leaving XP in large numbers very soon. It's that good.

You're the perfect target for Mac - you think of a computer as a whole, single solution. Macs are marketed directly at people who want to keep it simple (quite successfully of late) and buy a turnkey computer that requires nothing but what's inside the box when you buy it. You go to a store, look at the biggest, shiniest monitor and that's the one you pick. This is done to a certain extent with Dell/HP computers as well.

Most PC afficionados tend to look at a PC as a collection of components made up of OS', CPU's, RAM, hard drives, video cards, software and other doo-hickeys. They tend to want to custom order their parts, dig around inside the case and modify settings to get the most (acceptable) performance possible for whatever they plan to do with their PC.

There's a market niche for both type of person. Mac has clearly stepped up to fill the first niche that used to be dominated by PCs. The release of Vista coincided with a huge boost in Mac sales and you better believe Microsoft noticed (along with PC manufactuers) and Win 7 is designed to counteract that trend. I'm not a huge fan of PC's being so simple they just work (I repair PC's for a living!) but Win 7 seems to me to be a BIG step in that direction.

I personally had skipped using Vista and stuck to XP on my own machines until I came across the Win 7 Release Candidate. I know I'm certainly not alone in this as a HUGE majority of PC users did the same. I can definitely say that Windows 7 will buck this trend and you're going to see people flocking to it and leaving XP in large numbers very soon. It's that good.

Maybe you might think that, but i was a pc tech for 12 years fixing machines photo copiers laser & ink printers worked for tecnet canada and lexmark, also have my Dell DCSE certifications for dell.

I like the fact that mac's just work, you open the box they work, no viruses no spyware no CRAP like winblows.

Windows 7 is the worst i have seen, IE explorer on the start menu YA RIGHT! On the lower doc ? nope not there either. It sucks' its crap it's not developed properly yet and has so many bugs.

My old G4 server i bought off Planet 10 is almost 20 years now, has a 40gig hdd in it and a 250 gig hdd in it for all my storage around the house with 2 mac laptops, that access LOTS. So weird, a pc that's 20 years old would not even be able to see a 250gig hdd, let alone still be usefull and running.

I was a pc' tech its alot of stress because you have to monitor it like a new born, who wants a computer that has to be watched, mac = open use continue for years on end.

pc= Virus the first time you start sufring or spyware. OH don't for get to install all them programs to keep it clean and virus/spyware free. ( fail )

Still just my $.02 tho.!

how many viruses are stored inside them iso's of winblows 7

NONE ! - Ha , ha.... I wasn't born yesterday !!! I am now running 7 (attached 1) , First I run it behind the proxy to see if any unsolicited communications are underway. As far as the OS goes , it is much leaner (attachment 2)and faster than Vista , in fact it even "took" a XP driver for my PCI HDD controller (very backwards compatible). Still on the learning curve ,have to trim the "fat" out of it.

This is WAY better than VISTA (fast as XP) !! :) :cool:

OS

Attachments

• 7done.gif
    7done.gif
    91.3 KB · Views: 158
  • resources.gif
    resources.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 154
everybody with a pc will turn to win7. it's fast as XP, nice-looking, and for the first time a microsoft OS gives the feeling of being STABLE: incredible!

snow leopard: of much interest to anybody here is they implemented CUDA inside it, this means that programmers can take advantage of graphics card processors to run thing like parallel floating point calculations and so, maybe it will give more power to software based DSP and things like that: intel is developing a graphics card with 256 cores, which means much much more gigaflops avaible for intense mathematic tasks!

then it's really funny that:
windows has better consumer software: plugins like flash(youtube and so) are much much faster (better developed)

linux has by far the best technologies (file system, security, Compiz)

osx has the only smooth user experience (working, integrated, no anti-viruses!)

we shall all hope that google linux-chromeOS will take them all over

and also manufacturers shall stop to think that bold designed pc are nice to anyone: estetics is the main reason to have a mac, after all you can install osx on nearly any coreDuo intel pc

than they should also understand that we don't want soundcards, but hi-quality dacs, but maybe it holds true just for us

everybody with a pc will turn to win7. it's fast as XP, nice-looking, and for the first time a microsoft OS gives the feeling of being STABLE: incredible!

snow leopard: of much interest to anybody here is they implemented CUDA inside it, this means that programmers can take advantage of graphics card processors to run thing like parallel floating point calculations and so, maybe it will give more power to software based DSP and things like that: intel is developing a graphics card with 256 cores, which means much much more gigaflops avaible for intense mathematic tasks!

then it's really funny that:
windows has better consumer software: plugins like flash(youtube and so) are much much faster (better developed)

linux has by far the best technologies (file system, security, Compiz)

osx has the only smooth user experience (working, integrated, no anti-viruses!)

we shall all hope that google linux-chromeOS will take them all over

and also manufacturers shall stop to think that bold designed pc are nice to anyone: estetics is the main reason to have a mac, after all you can install osx on nearly any coreDuo intel pc

than they should also understand that we don't want soundcards, but hi-quality dacs, but maybe it holds true just for us

Hate to burst your bubble, but mac pretty much has just as much software, thats the oldest lamest comment of the world, was true like 10 years ago, but if you look at most apps like accounting or school software or business software mac is right beside it.

Mac developed so much software right now, its not even funny. I see it in many business's now they want stability and seamless care free machines, it's not easy keeping a pc healthy and running properly.

Sorry for the mega multi quote post but jleaman is just wrong

It pains me to even respond but you really don't know what you're talking about and you've made some blatantly erroneous statements. People might actually believe what you posted so I'll set the record straight..

Maybe you might think that, but i was a pc tech for 12 years fixing machines photo copiers laser & ink printers worked for tecnet canada and lexmark, also have my Dell DCSE certifications for dell.

That's cool but that hardly qualifies you as an expert. Not to belittle you but DCSE is a very easy certification to get and I'm positive it included nothing about Windows 7 in it. Not only is the exam material very basic but its even done open book in your home and you can google the answers while you take the test.

I have CompTIA A+ and N+ certifications as well as Cisco CCNA certification. I also have Microsoft MCP, MCSA and MCSE certifications. These are real certifications that require an extremely extensive knowledge of network security, IP networking infrastruction and low level functions of operating systems. By no means do I know everything but I do make an effort to :D

I like the fact that mac's just work, you open the box they work, no viruses no spyware no CRAP like winblows.

Most security experts agree that Mac's have been virus free largely due to their narrow market share. Smaller targets are harder to hit so why write a virus that only works on 10% of computers when you can write one that works on 80% of them? It doesn't make sense. Savvy PC users have realized this for quite some time and used browsers like Opera that were vitrually impervious to spyware and nobody bothered to target them due to their small market share.

pc= Virus the first time you start sufring or spyware. OH don't for get to install all them programs to keep it clean and virus/spyware free. ( fail )

Just because you don't see things doesn't mean they're not there. Most of these security measures are virtually invisible to the user (UAC being the exception). That's one of the principle reasons people like Macs so much - it's inner workings remain inside the OS where they belong. Windows 7 is using the same prinicple and the fact that "it just works" without you seeing it is a good thing :p

Windows 7 has actually stepped up it's security quite a bit. It's got SmartScreen filter built into IE8, Windows Defender and also introduces alot of features such a running IE in Protected Mode (like a Unix 'sandbox') where it has de-elevated permissions below the Users account permissions. That makes it vitrually impossible for spyware to hijack the system or even just a single user account anymore. It also continues to require user confirmation boxes (UAC) to perform any administrative function so that people who run windows on their admin-level account (basically everyone) aren't inadvertantly allowing programs to perform system-wide changes without their consent.

Windows 7 is the worst i have seen, IE explorer on the start menu YA RIGHT! On the lower doc ? nope not there either. It sucks' its crap it's not developed properly yet and has so many bugs.

IE was right there on my quick launch bar when Windows 7 started up. Maybe you have the European version which was required to dump IE because of this antitrust lawsuit.

My old G4 server i bought off Planet 10 is almost 20 years now, has a 40gig hdd in it and a 250 gig hdd in it for all my storage around the house with 2 mac laptops, that access LOTS. So weird, a pc that's 20 years old would not even be able to see a 250gig hdd, let alone still be usefull and running.

Wrong and wrong. G4's were released in 1999 which makes them 10 years old, not 20. A PC from 10 years ago would run a 250g hard drive (even sizes into the terabytes) with no problems.

I was a pc' tech its alot of stress because you have to monitor it like a new born, who wants a computer that has to be watched, mac = open use continue for years on end.

Still just my $.02 tho.!

That was the point I was trying to get at with my first post when I said...

Brian Kingsbury said:
I'm not a huge fan of PC's being so simple they just work (I repair PC's for a living!) but Win 7 seems to me to be a BIG step in that direction.

Last edited:
oh no, i was just referring to wide consumer things, like perhaps the web related stuff: mainly java implementation and flash plugin above all... they are just much faster, and have less bugs. don't know why but apple and adobe expecially seems to hate each other lately... for most consumers a pc is a browser flash enabled indeed, so it is just a big point.

for the rest of the apps, fortunately they are moving everything on the web and office like stuff id gonna die.
for audio production mac rules. for graphics it used to rule, but then again adobe cs4 has so many bugs under osx, i'm starting to use windows for it.

for what matters, i have all the three os on my macbook, every one i need for different reasons, that lists represent whay i found my self to apreciate of any, what i dislike are just too many things still...

also i don't find that using virtualization is a viable way unless quad core 4gb ram up is involved. it is usefull to run one task things of course, like mathcad mjk worksheets (but on those native or not my user experience is equally hard :) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.