Windows 7 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2009, 02:29 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
Oh dear, that's just like being married into the descendants of the Etruscans as I have -- they can't talk without moving their limbs -- at least my forebears used to paint their faces to communicate their intentions to the enemy, and I am sure they didn't speak to their spouses until they had at least 2 cups of java.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:00 AM   #12
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Microsoft seem to think that making Windows look a little different each time is enough to call it an upgrade.
Makes you wonder why they never got it right in the first place !
They also like to completely re-invent all of the administrative functions, or at least move them somewhere different... It doesn't make it any easier or better, but certainly assures plenty of revenue though roalties on "authorised" courses so that IT professionals can re-learn how to do the same things in the newest version... Maybe a tad cynical, but I suspect there is some truth to it

Tony.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:05 AM   #13
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Oh dear, that's just like being married into the descendants of the Etruscans as I have -- they can't talk without moving their limbs --
My doctor talks without moving anything - lips even. Quite distracting - I keep looking for the dummy.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:06 AM   #14
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJL21193 View Post
...Quite distracting - I keep looking for the dummy.
"is there a mirror handy?"

There, I beat you all to it.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:08 AM   #15
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Even better... get an Intel Mac with VMWare and you can run OS X, Windows 7 (and Vista, XP, et all, even DOS), Linux, Solaris, BeOs.... all at the same time (lotsa RAM needed if you get carried away).

dave

OR you could just partition the hard drive skip the lame crap EMULATOR and actually run the os like its actually being run on a pc. ( much better than emulating )

Windows 7 is the hardest os ever to fix, i say screw it and install linux ubuntu
Old 24th October 2009, 03:28 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
OR you could just partition the hard drive skip the lame crap EMULATOR and actually run the os like its actually being run on a pc. ( much better than emulating )
It is not emulation, it is virtualization. Very little is lost to overhead. This is quickly becoming the defacto standard way of running servers.... ie multiple virtual Windows or Unix machines on a single box.

Only possible because Intel built it into the chips.

dave
Old 24th October 2009, 03:32 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
It is not emulation, it is virtualization. Very little is lost to overhead. This is quickly becoming the defacto standard way of running servers.... ie multiple virtual Windows or Unix machines on a single box.

Only possible because Intel built it into the chips.

dave
Yet another reason why to never buy webhosting from a virtual server.

Dedicated linux host or dedicated machine, or loose clients.

In any argument, windows just keeps getting bloated and less reliable, so many people have converted to mac, gee wonder why.!
Old 24th October 2009, 05:15 AM   #18
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleaman View Post
In any argument, windows just keeps getting bloated and less reliable, so many people have converted to mac, gee wonder why.!
I'm afraid I just went the other way as 20 months with an iMac was enough. I nicknamed it mudguard.... shiny on top and full of rubbish underneath.

Have gone back to a new PC and XP and what a relief. I used to bag Windows until I was running Leopard which is super bloatware. Prior to selling the iMac I upgraded to Snow Leopard and some of the Apple 2008 apps (apparently designed for Leopard) didn't work without patches. If MS Office 2007 didn't run on the latest Windows version there would be an uproar but that behaviour on an Apple tends to be accepted.

I did run Bootcamp so I could still use XP but wasn't the best method in actual use. I previously tried VMware Fusion but had issues.

I will say I loved the iMac keyboard and have bought one to use with XP as it suits my disability.... extremely good to use with a light touch. Another good point for the iMac is it retained it's value very well and didn't lose a great deal with the experience. I'm lucky I sold it last week before the new iMacs were released.

After 25 years of PCs I had high hopes for the iMac but it didn't deliver for me and my uses.
Old 24th October 2009, 05:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Awww ,how can we pick on something so new ? Since I can go back to this install (XP) in 32 seconds with ghost , Why not give M$ a chance. Download a (couple copies - attachment) for educational use , if it stinks like Veeesta , I'll let ya know !!
OS
Attached Images
File Type: gif pirate7.gif (35.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 24th October 2009, 06:12 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
Awww ,how can we pick on something so new ? Since I can go back to this install (XP) in 32 seconds with ghost , Why not give M$ a chance. Download a (couple copies - attachment) for educational use , if it stinks like Veeesta , I'll let ya know !!
OS
how many viruses are stored inside them iso's of winblows 7 ? How many back door installers running and taking your usernames and passwords the first week u use it ?

Hide this!Advertise here!