old classics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just got this in the mail today a pioneer stereo amplifier
sa-7500 2. its amazing how this old amp sounds and built well
verry solid. hers some pics of the in nards:cool:

Attachments

• image135.jpg
    image135.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,055
hmm did i compare it to somthing no. but for its age it sounds great no hiss or poping.i took the amp to my shop and cleaned the pots thats about it.i guese it depends on the speakers u use
heres my setup;)

Attachments

• image141.jpg
    image141.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 994
Wow. That Pioneer looks mighty familiar. My first amp in college was a Pioneer that was obviously from the same family as that - doesn't look exactly the same - mine didn't have the reinforcing crossbar, and fewer switches on the front.

Like you, though, I was very surprised at how good it sounded. I was ready to replace it with an entry-level 'audiophile' integrated (Arcam maybe) and when I demo-ed them side by side the Pioneer held up very very well.

brings back good memories of back when I actually had lots of spare time to really listen to music......

Hey, I have worked on more than three of that exact pioneer amp.

I gutted one that someone fried to death, and repaired two others that were only slightly fried.

I thinkmy nicest classical piece of eqiupment is my Harman/Kardon
A402 amplifier.

It is one of the best sounding amplifiers I have heard and its front end beats that of some $5000.00 Marantz front ends. That's got something to say for it.

I'll have to post a picture of it if anybody wants to see!

-- duo.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Onkyo A7

This is an example (not working) of an Onkyo A7 which was one of the very best of the mainstream Japanese amps of the late 70s -- 65 w/channel. Better than the Pioneers, Sonys, Technics, Sansuis... it shot them all down (but didn't best an NAD 3020).

I'm not sure whether to take it in an see if it can be fixed for reasonable money or use it for the power supply, heat sinks, chassis, vol pot & selector switch -- but what to put in it that can take advantage of 42-0-42 DC rails?

dave

Attachments

• onkyoa7.jpg
    onkyoa7.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 844
Re: Onkyo A7

planet10 said:
This is an example (not working) of an Onkyo A7 which was one of the very best of the mainstream Japanese amps of the late 70s -- 65 w/channel. Better than the Pioneers, Sonys, Technics, Sansuis... it shot them all down (but didn't best an NAD 3020).

I'm not sure whether to take it in an see if it can be fixed for reasonable money or use it for the power supply, heat sinks, chassis, vol pot & selector switch -- but what to put in it that can take advantage of 42-0-42 DC rails?

dave
P3A (or that other Aussie one from Hugh) + Cap multiplier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.