Copyright images.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We all know that it's a no-no to post other people's copyrighted images becaue they belong to them, not us. What about though, if you post a link to an image that causes the image to be displayed when the thread loads? e.g like this
logomid.png

Is that considered to be the same thing?

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/Our O...ns for linking to documents on the Internet?/

"Deep linking" and perhaps even more so "Deep linking images" is still a very grey area on the internet.

Personally, I would just add a credit link when deep linking images from other sites. Deep linking means that the other site loses (and usually pays for) bandwidth without having any benefits like being able to show its ads or clock up a page view.

Jason said:
Personally, I would just add a credit link when deep linking images from other sites. Deep linking means that the other site loses (and usually pays for) bandwidth without having any benefits like being able to show its ads or clock up a page view.

Yes, a credit would be nice. But if the site is worried about bandwidth or monitoring pageviews, they can prevent deep linking and I've noticed more and more web sites doing just that.

For example, go here:

http://www.eveready.com/bunny/default.asp

Try right clicking on the big image of the bunny on the left.

Hmmm. For that matter, try right clicking ANYWHERE on the page and you'll get the same result.

se

Hi,

IE get's most things right. I've only ever visited 1 site (in Australia actually) that refused the browser.
On the other hand, it's most serious failing is not having tabs as Mozzila and Opera. I find IE6 almost unusable with XP where the task bar combines all open pages, and you have to use several clicks to switch pages - rediculous:clown:
There are, however a lot of sites that expect all browsers to be IE. Ignoramuses.:cannotbe:

Cheers,

Re: Opera

Elso Kwak said:
Hi,
I downloaded and installed Opera.
Funny I now could download the Bunny!
Opera seems to work somewhat faster especially on the Audio Asylum. Thanks!:)

Both Mozilla and Opera are MUCH faster than IE6 on a P4 2 GHz!

Why is IE so featureless???? Why is IE involved when you mess around at your harddisk?

Why have XP so featureless file handling compared to Macintosh? Doesn't PC users have a need for a smooth file administration?

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Why is IE so featureless????

I guess you kidding.......... right?

Why is Apple stuff so expensive?

Why is there so little engineering software ( or much of any interesting software?

Why would anybody use their stuff?

Why do Swedes ask so many questions?

Is Windows that hard to use? God help you if you ever work in a UNIX environment.

I started out with Fortran and punch cards.

I did like the Opera browser but it has been years since I played with it. It was something like 3 Meg of code which was pretty amazing considering how bloated most software is now.

I see it is about 12 Meg now.

FWIW i think most of those current opera megs are for handling java or javascript. which is 'optional' i think, at least it used to be.

opera is awesome. i have mine set up so about 30 of the sites i frequent open automatically every time i start up.

the only cumbersome thing is their new mail/news client. it's really still in beta, but they call it a release. i'm sticking with The Bat for my email.

sorry for jumping on the threadjack bandwagon...:goodbad:

/andrew

:dodgy:
not that i know of. i have registered my software with them and they send me upgrade notices every so often via email, but there's no HD snooping as far as i can tell.

they seem like a pretty stand-up company. in fact their mail reader doesn't do any image or script downloading, for security purposes (and it is easily capable of integrating PGP if you desire). so while i still get lots of spam, i have zero problem with viruses.

/andrew - likes the indie approach to web and email, despite having to use Windows.

ps - perhaps we should start a new thread if this is to continue...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.