Copyright images.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Why is IE so featureless????

Elso Kwak said:

Anything but Exploder

Fred Dieckmann said:
Why is Apple stuff so expensive?

Macs are pretty comparable pricewise -- and some like the new eMac & the iBook are less expensive than a comparable PC -- if you can compare them. How do you put a price on quality?

Why is there so little engineering software ( or much of any interesting software?

There is lots of interesting software, unfortuneatly engineering software is scarce. We are starting to see more & more getting ported now that Apple's OS is UNIX (easy to use by the way -- way better than the kludge they call windows)

Why would anybody use their stuff?

Because it lets me get more work done with less frustration and problems (ie a WAY better user experience). If you are doing graphics or publishing work and your aren't using a Mac it's like surfing with an anchor tied to your ankle.

Is Windows that hard to use? God help you if you ever work in a UNIX environment.

Windows is a real kludge -- i am using UNIX. With Apple's Finder on top it is -- IMHO --the easiestand most consistent OS available.

I started out with Fortran and punch cards.

Fotruneatly i was lucky to have the author of Algol W as a dean and only learned Fortran for fun.

I did like the Opera browser but it has been years since I played with it. It was something like 3 Meg of code which was pretty amazing considering how bloated most software is now.

iCab (which i use) is still about 3 MB. On the Mac i have a lot of choices. The fatties, Exploder & Communicator, Mozilla, Opera, OmniWeb, Fizzilla, special little browsers like Links, mogura, wDesk, WebDesktop and the 2 i use the most iCab & Safari (the Mac version of Opera is an also ran, compared to either of these)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
faustian bargin said:
yeah but now you're not linking it from the energizer website - you downloaded it, spruced it up, and posted it onto diy's web server. (also you didn't footnote the source, trademark, and/or copyright.)

which is probably less of a gray area than deep linking...but i'm just guessing.

They have a copyright notice on the page, you have modified the image -- in a manner they probably wouldn't approve -- and have now put it onto the diyaudio server. I think i can probably get away with linkiing it because of the credit, but i don't think i want their mutated copywritten image on the diyaudio servers. I will probably remove Karma's image just to be safe. (i'll wait for a few comments before i do thou)

The credit with the deep-linked image from Everready gets them more legitamate links and pushes them up in the search engines and would probably pass scrutiny. If they asked -- and to a sharp webmaster, the credit will act as an alert -- we would have to delete my post.

dave

HELP, I can't download attachemets in IE6

slowmotion said:
Hi All,
I just "upgraded" to Internet Explorer 6 including Outlook Express 6. Now I can't file or open the attachments in my OutlookExpress as this stupid program has determined that all my received attachments are unsecure and are made unaccessible! Is this Microsofts answer to viruses, blocking all attachements?

I also played a bit with Opera but this program has the nasty habit not to download completely long webpages. (F.a. a webpage about capacitors, forgot the name) It says connection interrupted or something like that, which is not true.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I am not a computerfreak.

:)

Thanks!

rendisha said:
Elso, it's about security settings. I think that you shoud go to Tools -> Options -> Security tab, and uncheck the box saying
Do not allow attachments....
But it will make your PC more vulnerable. You should download some program like Magic Mail Monitor to check your mails on the server, and delete spam and infected ones first.

Thanks, rendisha!
I uncheked the box in extra, allowing email attachments to save on my computer. It works now!

Currently I am using Mail Washer but the emails suggesting to modify my private part keep coming.:clown:
I will check and try Maic Mail Monitor.Thanks again!:) :)

Steve Eddy said:
Yes, a credit would be nice. But if the site is worried about bandwidth or monitoring pageviews, they can prevent deep linking and I've noticed more and more web sites doing just that.

Indeed. A "high-ranking member" of our forums recently posted an inline link to a picture on another server. The server detected the deep linking attempt and proceeded to send a highly offensive graphic instead. The moderator (me) was more than a little heated despite the fact that it was an innocent mistake.

In other words, watch what you link to!!

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.