Asking for reference material, math theory - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2003, 09:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Asking for reference material, math theory

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand noise, really understabnd it and not just calculate it. Can anybody help my with a publication (book, article, magazine, website) which can help me to connect fourier spectrum with gausian distribution, Poisson statistics, and rms values of shotnoise.

I seems easy to find a book with the mathmatical expression to calculate usefull measures of noise, but very difficult to find information how to come to those mathmatical expressions.

Regards,
Thijs
Old 13th May 2003, 09:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you want that sort of indepth knowledge, you will probably have to be looking at some rather thick degree level maths text books. We have covered some of the stuff you have mentiond there (mainly the fourier stuff), but I haven't seen any one text book which goes into amazing depth about all of those topics. Your best bet would be to try and get a look in a university library (the engineering departments will generaly have something on these subjects) and find a couple of books that deal eith what you want. Then if you like tham and are still up to putting in all of the effort go out and buy coppies.
Old 14th May 2003, 12:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You might try looking at some of the production automotive journals such as SAE. In particular, having to do with "In-Process-Verification" and "Signature Analysis". The latter has to do with the characterization of signals and differientiating signal from noise.

Rodd Yamashita
Old 14th May 2003, 03:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm a fluid mechanics guy, and for that sort of thing I reack for Bendat and Peirsol's "Random Data" or "Engineering Applications of Correlation and Spectral Analysis" Both very good books, but hardly light reading.

Look for them at a college library or the engineering department. The pair will set you back a cool $250.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 14th May 2003, 08:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

My university hasn't got as technical department, so all the book shops in this small university town don't have any enginering books . Thanks for the suggestions at amazon.

Regards,
Thijs
Old 14th May 2003, 10:59 AM   #6
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool Re: Asking for reference material, math theory

Quote:
Originally posted by tschrama
Hi all,
Regards,
Thijs
Hi Thijs,
You can try the book Low Noise Electronic Design by Motchenbacher and Fitchen, John Wiley and Sons.
Also Horowitz in the Art of Electronics, Chapter 7, has some nice pages about noise.

The difference between a chemist and a physicist is the latter needs a formula to understand the world. For me a mechanism suffices.
Elso/not a physicist

Hide this!Advertise here!