sound voodoo - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2001, 12:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default sound voodoo

Is there anyone interested in here in sound voodoo-placement of components,why your cd sounds better after you shook it as if there was dirt on it,why cables sound different when you switch them around and so on?Just post me and we do some experiments,there seem to be very few people who care about this.Have fun,Karl.
Old 18th December 2001, 04:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Talking about strange stuff, there was an article in Stereophile, about claims of 'audible' sound improvements with tweaks such as using unopened soup cans as speaker stands??? You might want to try it out.....as I'm not so optimistic
Old 18th December 2001, 05:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know a guy who will do whatever any expert tells him to do. He purchased these speaker cables from Mapleshade that are essentially 14 guage magnet wire twisted together. for about a ten foot pair he paid $85. He also has wis wires coiled around cardboard pyramids and elevated exactly 8" off of the floor. Personally, I can't tell the difference, but he thinks he can.

I've also heard of showing a CD different colored cards will improve the sound; however, you must pay for a specific color from another audio sage to have any effect. Seems like stimulating the brain to me.

Maybe you should stop by the Tweaker's Asylum sometime when Steve Eddy gets started on tweak bashing. You can get quite an education.

The answer to your question: PLACEBO EFFECT!

Here's those cables I was talking about. I'm sorry if you spent $1K on Audioquest because these are supposedly better (for motors)

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/twe...akercable.html
Old 18th December 2001, 07:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As an out-of-left-field observation, I heard on NPR two or three weeks ago that there was an article in JAMA, New England Journal of Medicine, or something that the 'placebo effect' has been disproved.

Grey
Old 18th December 2001, 08:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default VODOO TWEAKING

I believe if someone just thinks he/she hears an improvement or actually in fact does hear an improvement in the sound of their system by whatever means is irrelevant. The name of the game is to enjoy the musical experience. If sitting in the Lotus position with the gear under a pyramid enhances the experience for someone, then who am I to say why it sounds better to them.
Some of the tweaks do sound a little far fetched, but not long ago I thought firmly that cables didn't make a difference as long as the wire is of sufficient diameter, and made of a decent metal.
I was totally wrong.
When I changed from rat shack mega cable to Cardas, the difference was apparent to all who listened to the system. It definately was not a figment of my imagination, or a "wish" on my part to justify the added cost.
Anyone who owns tube equipment can hear the difference in using rubber or cone feet under the equipment, or putting tube "dampers" on some tubes. Damping vibration in equipment is a real tweak. Tap a tube during a quiet passage, or no music playing, you'll hear the tap amplified through the system. Vibrations in the room from music playing does the same thing and obscures detail in the soundstage. Called "microphonics.
Don't knock "tweaks" till you try em.
Old 19th December 2001, 03:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have nothing against the tweaks themselves, but I do take issue with the outrageously high prices that people charge for these tweaks.

The thing is, if you put your mind to it you can make these products yourself.

-M.A.
Old 19th December 2001, 04:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default mg16

I wholeheartedly agree with that point! Prices, for what you get, are outrageous on many of them.
mg16
Old 23rd December 2001, 11:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Im totally into the "do it yourself mode"
why not talk about tips and tricks in this forum?
Old 23rd December 2001, 02:28 PM   #9
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Out of curiosity, has anyone here built their own suspension rack for any piece of their equipment? I had an idea using some heavy rubber bands and some MDF...

By the way, if your looking for some cheap, good, adjustable spikes, try the practice point arrowheads! The ones I got were very heavy and had a light teflon coating on them. They worked wonderfully.
Old 23rd December 2001, 02:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Use a bicycle (or other small) inner tube sandwiched between two pieces of MDF. Or, as another option, I've been collections these new 'Air Pillows' that have been coming in as packing with the intent to find several of the same size and place them between the boards.

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!