Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default is there a difference?

if people cannot hear the difference between things ie. cables then why do they argue that there is no diference? Man if you cannnot hear the difference between say a cable on one direction Vs the other get a new hobby. Best regards Moray James.
Old 16th August 2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Man if you cannnot hear the difference between say a cable on one direction Vs the other get a new hobby.
Any recommendations?
Old 16th August 2009, 03:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I can't say about cables, but real distortions hear everyone, but not everyone can tell what is wrong. Some people are trained to recognize some distortions, some are not. Also, when distortions are under threshold of conscious perception only entire experience may tell how real it sounds. The keys are, how well records cause subconscious reactions, and how long the music can be heard without making you tired.
Old 16th August 2009, 08:54 AM   #4
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: is there a difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
Man if you cannnot hear the difference between say a cable on one direction Vs the other get a new hobby.
Man if you can hear the difference between say a cable on one direction Vs the other get a new hobby.
Old 16th August 2009, 09:26 AM   #5
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Perhaps on the new upgraded forum, there should be a new section

SNAKE OIL

Andy
Old 16th August 2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Stu is offline Stu  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you notice directionality in an AC signal... you might as well spend a few thousand dollars on high-quality snake oil, volume knobs and power cables.

If it sounds better to you, who am I to complain? Just as long as you don't pretend there's a quantifiable difference.
Old 16th August 2009, 11:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Moray

I'll have a quarter if you've got any to spare

Ed
Old 16th August 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
Perhaps on the new upgraded forum, there should be a new section

SNAKE OIL

Andy
Here, here!

We can also review the majority of the commercial products in that section

Cheers!
Old 16th August 2009, 12:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
if people cannot hear the difference between things ie. cables then why do they argue that there is no diference? Man if you cannnot hear the difference between say a cable on one direction Vs the other get a new hobby. Best regards Moray James.
The first time I read this, I thought you were asking difference in cables, straight out, which, if were talking old worn out, falling apart cable vs new, fresh cable, yes there can be a difference. BUT purely direction in the same cable? Interesting. Physics says no, my ears agree. IMHO, you should consider a job in the commercial audio cabling industry, sound like you'd do well there. Doesn't really seem like a helpful thread, just you telling others what to do. That doesn't sit well with me. To each his own.
Old 16th August 2009, 12:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
I can't say about cables, but real distortions hear everyone, but not everyone can tell what is wrong. Some people are trained to recognize some distortions, some are not. Also, when distortions are under threshold of conscious perception only entire experience may tell how real it sounds. The keys are, how well records cause subconscious reactions, and how long the music can be heard without making you tired.
I can hear crossover distortion on my amps before they are biased properly. Its like a low level buzz on top of the audio signal.

I can also usually tell a valve amplifier especially a guitar one because of the distortion.

Hide this!Advertise here!