is there a difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't say about cables, but real distortions hear everyone, but not everyone can tell what is wrong. Some people are trained to recognize some distortions, some are not. Also, when distortions are under threshold of conscious perception only entire experience may tell how real it sounds. The keys are, how well records cause subconscious reactions, and how long the music can be heard without making you tired.

If you notice directionality in an AC signal... you might as well spend a few thousand dollars on high-quality snake oil, volume knobs and power cables.

If it sounds better to you, who am I to complain? Just as long as you don't pretend there's a quantifiable difference.

moray james said:
if people cannot hear the difference between things ie. cables then why do they argue that there is no diference? Man if you cannnot hear the difference between say a cable on one direction Vs the other get a new hobby. Best regards Moray James.

The first time I read this, I thought you were asking difference in cables, straight out, which, if were talking old worn out, falling apart cable vs new, fresh cable, yes there can be a difference. BUT purely direction in the same cable? Interesting. Physics says no, my ears agree. IMHO, you should consider a job in the commercial audio cabling industry, sound like you'd do well there. Doesn't really seem like a helpful thread, just you telling others what to do. That doesn't sit well with me. To each his own.

Wavebourn said:
I can't say about cables, but real distortions hear everyone, but not everyone can tell what is wrong. Some people are trained to recognize some distortions, some are not. Also, when distortions are under threshold of conscious perception only entire experience may tell how real it sounds. The keys are, how well records cause subconscious reactions, and how long the music can be heard without making you tired.

I can hear crossover distortion on my amps before they are biased properly. Its like a low level buzz on top of the audio signal.

I can also usually tell a valve amplifier especially a guitar one because of the distortion.

The initial post is just trolling, don't waste your time responding. This thread should be locked.

As for different sound for a cable in different direction, there is only one case I am aware of that would make a difference... a true shielded cable that has a ground shield connection at one end only that is NOT connected to the signal ground in the cable.

Are you sure it's the wire which has directionality or is it the insulation?

Cable directionality (aside from asymmetrical construction like a shield connected at one end or "termination" boxes) is actually a very easy one to structure a blind test with. One was actually put together a few years ago, but the claimant backed out.

Here's how to do it:

1. Get a reel of cable.

2. Reel off and cut agreed-on lengths of cable, carefully keeping track of direction.

3. Tag each cable with a tag that reads the same in either direction.

4. Take cable 1. Flip a coin. If it's heads, mark the "toward the inside of the reel" end. If it's tails, mark the "toward the outside of the reel" end. Note the cable ID and which end got the mark.

5. Repeat for a statistical number of cables (15 or so). Give the key sheet to a third party.

6. Now the claimant can take the cables home and using his (pronoun choice deliberate) own system, his own music, his own room, and taking his sweet old time, sort them into two groups by direction versus mark. There are noted on a score sheet which is then sent to the third party with the key.

7. The third party then announces the score and compares to random.

8. Claimant then can spend much time creating imaginative excuses and objections, spawning millions of keystrokes amongst the religiously offended.

Structure a test like this and I'll put money on the line, as long as the claimant does, too.

Redshift187 said:

As for different sound for a cable in different direction, there is only one case I am aware of that would make a difference... a true shielded cable that has a ground shield connection at one end only that is NOT connected to the signal ground in the cable.

I will give him the benefit that what you stated is what he was inferring :) Different cabling does alter sonics, but direction of connection in and of itself, is not something that even I would say is audible :)

SY said:
Structure a test like this and I'll put money on the line, as long as the claimant does, too.

The problem with the test is that the original wire you cut up was not broken in and thus it has no direction, or so someone who believes in such nonsense might say. So they will believe your test is invalid and they can go on believing that what they say is objective truth, even if they lost money. You can't win, SY, it is as pointless as arguing religion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.