Free speaker wire shootout - cat6 vs romex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cannibalized some thick flexible power cords from Home Depot. They have 3 wires, though, so for convenience I connected white and green-yellow together, at least one of wires has a half of resistance.

Oh god Wavebourn.

You know better than that.

Now you have less resistance in one leg than the other and the electrons will pile up at the speaker end causing congested sound.

The twist rates in CAT 5 are different! NOT the same, this is to avoid crosstalk between the LVDS signals.
How could the minor twist rates cause audible problems, work out the electrical length of cable when transmitting audio and you may fine that a few feet difference between one cable and the next will not make any difference what so ever.
Regarding CAT 5 or 6 , Andrew T did some measurements somewhere and I do believe using multiple pairs can increase the cables capacitance.
Me on Sy's recommendation chopped few feet of cable from my lawn mower, I believe the bright Orange colour of the dielectric is better for signal integrity and as an added bonus it always clashes with whatever decorating scheme my beloved wife dreams up, causing endless domestic friction. This could be solved if she went and bought some black or white cable:)

The Belden CAT5e I used had all pairs with the same twist rate. The way the 4 pairs were twisted together did vary. I skinned the outer sleeve and used the 4 pairs to build speaker cables with 14 strands per pole.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.