Stage Lighting Setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw a thread on here for stage lighting and there were A LOT of knowledgeable answers. I was hoping people could help me put together my first setup. I'd like to put together some lamps with basic colors on stage with sequences and as much flexibility as possible in the manipulation of different combinations of those few lights. I'd like this to be as cheap as possible initially so I can practice. From what I can tell this is done with a DMX controller, a laptop running software such as DMXcontrol and then people mentioned using cheap flood lights with gels over them.

Can anyone give me more detail on how this is done, how specifically it is put together and what equipment I will need?

Thanks!
John

The cheapest way to start is by using some common dimmers. If you need to dim extremely low, modify the dimmers to do that. (You only need one reset circuit for a purely resistive load, but two would be needed for a transformer or motor load.)
http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/lighting/dimmer.html
If you want automatic control, either replace the potentiometers with photoresistors and LEDs (use them as optoisolators) or start from scratch with some triacs, optoisolated triac drivers, and a way to derive the zero crossing references. Then use a microcontroller such as an Arduino to control the triacs or dimmers.

You can also use SSRs but they are often more expensive than making one from a triac and optoisolated triac driver. However, you might find some surplus deals and they are hard to beat for convenience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.