Reccomend me a vinyl finish! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Reccomend me a vinyl finish!

Ok, I am quite stumped now. I really need a vinyl finishing product for my speaker project here:

NEW mid-top for 3 way!
Click the image to open in full size.

I produced the CAD models with the dark Elm veneer I was anticipating getting, but the stockist no longer carries them and it looks like they won't be again

Ideally, if someone knew a place to get a very dark, but not "blackwood" effect covering that'd be great. That dark Elm I modelled with was ideal.

I am also considering a black leather effect finish as an alternative. As nice as a piano black effect would be, I don't think my surfaces are smooth enough to show it off well. I can't find the black leather effect any bigger than this though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FABLON-SELF-AD...4.c0.m14.l1262

And ideally want 2m x 900mm for whatever finish I use.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows of good places to buy (in UK) then that'd be of great help!
Old 8th August 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For the Guitar amp look head for the local market and the stall which sells cloth. Most stock leathercloth in a number of colours. Head for a diy store and grab a tin of evo-stick and you're there

Cheap, looks good and any damage can be filled with boot polish
Old 9th August 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Dr_EM is offline Dr_EM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response!

I know the stuff you mean. What I've seen on actual guitar amps is very rough, heavy duty stuff which I'm not sure will look right at home. There's a good chance that sticky back material will be similar infact, though the photo made it look "softer" somehow; it does tend to be quite thin.

Perhaps then a leather effect finish isn't what I'm after! I really just need something dark, but matte, unintrusive somehow. I know that the matte black fablon is very cheap looking so I couldn't use that really.

I think I'm going to need a good dark wood vinyl, don't know why they are so uncommon! I find the darker grains (and not blackwood) look more "realistic" somehow. Anyone know where to get one similar to the one on my CAD model? Very dark vinyl, but with some grain, like a heavily stained natural wood?

Thanks again!
Old 9th August 2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

the one on the market is not the really rugged one so may be OK. Alternatives :-

Locate a local signmaker in the yellow pages / google, they may be able to get a wood effect vinyl (though I haven't seen one so far, carbon fibre effect is about though so you never know. )

Some will have the ability to print on vinyl, expect to pay about 30-50 square metre but you can have exactly what you need.

If going this route explain the surface the vinyl is to stick on, I suspect an acrylic adhesive will be needed on wood but take advice

Hide this!Advertise here!