Custom mini audio monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, First post here.

I work backstage and use Clear Com intercom systems. These are beltpacks with headset with mic/headphones. Many times I'll need to just monitor the com in-case someone needs to contact me. I'll usually position the headphone so it points at me and then turn it up and hope to hear it when needed instead of wear it constantly. They do make base stations (bisquits, bit*h-boxes, whatever) with external speakers but those are pricey and somewhat large. I would like to go kind of renegade and use my own little monitor from my pocket when I need it.

I'm looking to make a small hand-held size box with a speaker/volume knob that takes xlr in and passes the xlr out on to the beltpack.

The clear com belt packs are wired pin1=common, pin2=+30vdc, pin3=intercom

Can I get/make a small amp that uses that 30v dc and powers a really small speaker?

It might be easier to use if the monitor is between the beltpack and headset? I'm not sure of the output from the beltpack.

Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Dangus, Thanks for the reply.

I've just spent about 5hrs reading the Burning Amp thread started a couple of years ago.

After seeing the work, and reading your reply, I'm in the wrong part of the www. I'm nowhere close to a fanatic after seeing what you people do. (interpretation: english man, english)

I need more hand-holding than you guys should be providing.

Does Clear Com make a walkie talkie style unit that is compatible with your system? Instead of trying to hack into your headset, how about just a different style unit sitting there on speaker? Possible they also already make little accessory speakers you could pin on your shoulder or lapel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.