Problems with loaning out a cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got my reply

Hi Panicos
I recieved an email from Ray which I havent opened yet because judging by his reply on audioasylum it will be quite vitreolic.
Here is the link to the asylum post
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=841211&highlight=rayr0683@comcast.net&r=
and here are the contents of that post word for word
"Hey Dude...Nick...MegaMan...whatever it is that feeds that ego. Read the
post......It was not me, making the Long Hump from Market Street....I was
simply responding to it, whith places I used to go for vinyl, Years Ago!!!
And as far as the 440ML...original old used cartridge, that had been well
broken in, on various systems, and sitting in a drawer now, collecting
dust, as you put ir to me.....It had a beat stylus that was very noisy, on
silent, or no passages of music...you wanted to beat someone on this, and
it was me. As soon as you sent it, you were asking for it back. I told
you personally what happened, and I sent it back to you, the same way you
sent it to me, So....where is your cartridge???? You tell me. I told you
to evaluate it when you got it back, and we would handle it from there.
But you as usual, jump the gun, and accuse...Shove your crummy old
440...and you want a Brand New One??? Gotta be kiddin me! I told you
personally what happened, and how Id handle it. Once you get real with me!
And read posts, before you accuse also...see who it was that took the Trek
into Philly for records...not me!!! Later, Ray"

I am quite upset by this.
I would like to state again that anything i have said here is factual as to timelines and events and of course I can substantiate it.
Thanks to all

Approval

Nick,

Again I see you looking for approval from others. I sent you emails, back from what you sent me. I told you about the cartridge collar, on one side, and I evened it out with solder iron, but said, if your not happy, I will handle it another way, replace your cartridge with another of similar wear. You sent me a cartridge with a poor stylus on it, and no hardware or directions, or anything else, and you want a brand new one in return. Of course, after you saw the newer model, and the price increase. You pounced on me, as soon as you sent the damn cartridge, and until others got involved, you didn't back off a bit, as to giving me some time to try to get it on my table. Then you were re arranging my preamp, the silicone piece of junk. and your facts and timelines are off, and Ray can walk!!!! it wasn't Ray, that was treking around philly to record stores, I replied to that post, stating years ago wher I used to buy records. Also, none of my other cartridges exhibited the severe noise problems that the 440 did, very noisy, clicks and pops, surface noise, etc......easy to blame a record, but these records sound like CD's when played with my other cartridges, which I offered to send to you, my Grado Signature tlz, to use while I experimented....but you refused, and demanded yours back, no sooner than it arrived. supposedly because your cat and dog were playing tag on your turntable. The cartridge I offered to loan you, was a $600.00 cartridge, but I didn;t hesitate to offer to send it. But you cried over an $89.00 cartridge that was well past broken in, as you stated yourself. On various systems in your past, and now collecting dust. I am not looking for Paniko's approval, or disapproval, but I told you, once you received it, to evaluate it, and Id work with you from there. but your again, always right, and malicious in your attacks publicly, just like your kitty cat....same type behavior. stop and think, is this what you did to the others in your past, that now have nothing to do with you?? If so, maybe try changing. Ray

just the facts Ray

Ray lets deal with the facts here and only those ok?
I have not got my cartridge and according to your email both collars are damaged, i have the email here and am looking at it.So unless i have mistaken the collective term collars for the singular, the inference is that they have been both damaged.
It is news to me that you offered any cartridge to me other than the damaged one i sent you in undamaged condition.
The only reason I came to the forum is because you have not contacted me since the 10th of May and here are the contents of that last email ray
"Nick,

I am worried about the damage. I told you Id make good for it, it was my own stupid fault, i didnt realize it was threading inside the collar. so, when you get it, whatever you decide, Ill make good. I tried to reinforce it with tip of soldering iron, but they reemed wider holes through the flanges. you will see what i mean. the stylus didnt get any damage at all, and sounded extremely detailed, and punchy strong on bass. ray"

So you do what you think is right Ray and please dont send abusive emails to my private email address anymore. Just either "make good" or go away
Thanks

Hello Nick and Ray.First please let me ask you not to take this post as an "approval or sissapproval" for anyone.It is sad to see two people who untill recently were changing posts with one another,trying to help each other.This thread has revealed some very good qualities of both of you .Nick has offered to help by sending you ,Ray ,his cartridge and you gladly accepted his willingnes.From the posts in this thread we have all seen what happened and said between you two.It would be a shame for a "$89 cartridge"as you say Ray,to spoil the nice climate of this thread but also between all of us.Ray,I believe it is not the $89 that it was Nick's problem or worry,but,IMO the fact that he received no reply from you for a long time,and he felt he didn't deservre this.IMO again,the easiest thing you could do,was a reply.Wasn't it more difficult for you to say what happened by posting in the forum?And,telling Nick the truth on what happened,was one really good quality of you Ray.What went wrong after this?I believe it is not too late to send a few private e-mails to one another and see how to solve this.If both of you believe I can be of any help,you can e-mail me too.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Ray (rayr20683),
I've had a read of these later posts, and I have been able to come to an opinion. I will state that I have a close and long experience with phono - cartridge and preamp issues. Over 35 years in fact, using top quality test equipment.

Firstly, the body of a magnetic cartridge does not wear. Only the stylus will wear. So the body does not depreciate or become less useful.

Secondly, if a stylus is worn, you will hear unmistakable distortion in the higher frequencies at the very least. Your own comments earlier on would seem to suggest that the stylus was in fact in good condition. So, you were not sent an old, worn out stylus.

Thirdly, cartridge mounting hardware is something that you are assumed to have. If you don't, you either go buy some, or you ask for it.

Fourth. Instructions could have been scanned and sent via email, or they are probably available for download somewhere. Either way, if you needed this information, you only need have asked for it. I don't see that as a hardship or any reason to mount the cartridge if it didn't fit properly. I know the damage did not occur without you knowing in advance. Not unless you did not pay attention when you were installing it.

Fifth issue. You were using the property of someone else. While you have possession of it, you are responsible for damage and / or excessive wear. You really can not blame anyone else who could not directly control your actions. You caused damage, it's entirely up to you to remedy the situation.

Sixth and last issue. So US Post made you pick up the parcel. In most countries in the world, postal services are reliable and safe. The US Postal service is probably the worst in industrialized nations - and you know they are a problem. Heck, I do and I live in Canada! So, until Nick "duderduderini" does in fact receive his property back in the same condition as he released it to your care, you are the one at financial risk for shipping. Nick can not control any portion of shipping from you to him. So it's up to you to pack it properly, insure it properly, and choose a service that is likely to get the package to where it is supposed to go. You really needed a tracking number in order to tell where the package ended up.

In short, I'm afraid that whatever happened to that package, you are responsible for it until it is received. It does sound to me like you do owe the guy a replacement body at the very minimum, plus an undamaged, serviceable stylus. A new one is not unreasonable a request from what I see here.

I'm sorry you were injured, and I am extremely sorry to hear that the cartridge and stylus seem to be not only damaged, but missing on top of that. Insurance would pay the shipper (you), so it should have been insured for it's replacement value.

I sincerely hope that this is a misunderstanding on my part. It doesn't seem to be though. Please either find that cartridge and stylus and send Nick a replacement, or just send Nick a replacement. Either way, Nick should not suffer for doing a good deed on your behalf. If you can show I am mistaken, please. Do it.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop:
This portion of the thread on "Its time to rehash the good ole "Which Cartridge" question" located here has been split off. Any comments regarding the issues between Ray and Nick must continue here. The original thread will continue along it's original course.

-Chris
:cop:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.