What Is This Thing? "Sonic Solutions 8-channel A/D"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What Is This Thing? "Sonic Solutions 8-channel A/D"

I was given this thing by my school when they were cleaning. It has 8 XLR inputs, and a Sonic I/O port on the back, along with a set of DIP switches to set the 'address'. Attached are pictures of the front, back, PCB, and a silkscreen on the PCB stating what it is. Does anyone know what I could connect it to, what it does, and/or what its worth? I didnt see a website for Sonic Solutions, nor could I find a product sheet for it.

Thanks to anyone who gives input!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is an 8-channel analog to digital converter. You would connect 8 various signals to the inoputs as needed, and the resulting digital signal would then be sent out the I/O for use elsewhere. A digital recorder or computer DAW would use the signals.

Whatever you connected it to would have to also have the Sonic I/O interface.

I know zero about the company, but this may offer some insight, and may be a resource. COntact them and ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Solutions

I found thios stuff by a quick google of the company name, then more specific information by googling "Sonic Solutions A/D"

Sonic Solutions was a spin-off from LucasFilms. They were experimenting with digital editing of audio (sound droid) and film (edit droid) at about the same time as Synclavier produced the "direct to disk" audio editing system.

The software produced by Sonic Solutions was far superior to Pro-Tools and actually made sense. They also produced a software package called "No-Noise" which addressed problems such as noise floor, clicks, pops and clipping long before anyone else. You could literally re-write the waveform if needed.

Sonic Solutions is still around but they only produce software.

Like Pro-Tools, the AD-DA's are designed to work exclusively with their proprietary DSP cards. You would need a DSP card and Nu-bus Mac and software to actually use the AD-DA.

Multiple systems could be connected as a network, so that dialog, foley, music and FX could linked directly to the mix stage for the final mix. They also worked well for music editing.

The AD-DA listed for about $4000. A full bore Sonic Solutions Workstation would cost about $35000 without "No-Noise" (originally about a $50000 option). The old Synclavier D-T-D could run to over $250,000.

chris

The last operational system I've seen was being used at St. Olaf College in 2006. ...And probably still working.

Sonic was one of about 10 companies that built workstations in the '80's and 90's. Each had advantages and disadvantages.

They are all thoroughly obsolete. Digidesign was left as the Microsoft of audio editors.

As mentioned your AD was 16 bit, though later ones did 24 bit.

You should be able to get more hardware from EBAY.

But I don't think it is worth pursuing given the cheap I/O's you can get now with firewire and USB interfaces. Most cheap PC's have much more power than those old TI DSPs.

chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.