UK Residents - Petition to save FM radio!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Telemin is offline Telemin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default UK Residents - Petition to save FM radio!!!

I'm sure most Uk residents have heard by now about the governments plans to switch over completely to digital radio within the next 4 years and completely turn off the analogue transmitters.

Now I have no problem at all with digital radio, but right now there are I estimate at least 80 million FM and AM radio recievers in the UK, including the ones built into expensive hifis and into cars, and I think it is a hugely shortsighted government which seeks to make every single one of these unnecessarily obsolete in four years time.

For all the good it will (read: probably won't) do, there is an official petition on the government website:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/AM-FM-Radio/

Please sign this if you live in the UK!!
Old 7th July 2009, 07:38 PM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

In America, there was a transition to all digital TV. I liked it as it gave me more high quality channels.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Telemin is offline Telemin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm not saying that digital radio is a bad thing. I like both digital radio and T.V the quality improvements are noticeable and a good thing.

My problem is that when the FM radio stops transmitting it makes all these FM radios instantly obsolete for no good reason. Afterall you can make a TV recieve digital by plugging in an extra decoder box, but a radio simply no longer works.

At the moment we have analogue and digital broadcasts side by side, and I can see no hugely pressing reason not to continue this way for the time being. The costs element of continuing to run the analogue transmitters cannot surely musch increase the overheads of running the digital system in place now.

It simply feels like the UK government is rushing ahead trying to force everyone to switch to the wonderful new digital transmission age when there is really no need, and are ending up throwing out a perfectly good system and inconveniencing a lot of people, when they have to replace all the current radios in their house - and more expensive their car! - purely because of bureaucracy.
Old 8th July 2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

When CDs came out, nobody said you CANNOT make vinyl records after a certain date. As cell phones take over, no one has said you CANNOT have a land line phone. Etc. There was and is a market in the USA for the good old analog TV. But the lobby was there to convince the government to sell off the bandwidth and yank it out from under us.

Locally we have a channel 6 TV station. ANywhere that had a channel 6, one could listen to the sound signal on an FM radio, it was down at 87.7 on the low end of the dial.

I used to listen to the TV news driving to and from work. 6AM and 6PM. They took that from me. I could also listen to football games in season.

Here in the shop, we have a little TV in the break room. We can't afford cable. We didn;t qualify for a "coupon." (We are not someone's home) We also didn;t have the budget for a new TV ($159 and up) And a converter cost money too. Inside the metal building, analog reception was weak, but good enough for us. Digital is all or nothing, you cannot watch a weak digital signal, you get a blue screen instead. SO we are not sure we'd even see anything anyway.

So we no longer have TV at work.

I was in my local Sears store geting tires a couple days ago, they have an antenna TV in the waiting room. I discovered the local channels all have multiple signals. For example Ch47.1, 47.2, etc. FOr every one of our local half dozen stations, the extra program channels were either the exact same thing or they were blank.

SO digital TV? Thanks for nothing.

Just like Video tape, land line phones, and so on, the market will take care of itself. We don;t need to mandate that you CANNOT use an existing technology.
Old 8th July 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

This is an interesting view on this subject.

http://community.whathifi.com/blogs/...l-britain.aspx
Old 8th July 2009, 04:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The real reason that the governments are trying to switch things over to digital is with digital you can fit more channels into a bandwidth. With this option, the various bands become more valuable. And guess who sells the rights to the various frequency bands in a country?
In regards to the switch to digital giving more high quality channels, it might be good to define quality in context. The picture and audio may be better, but beyond that quality is debatable!

Peace,

Dave
Old 8th July 2009, 05:09 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave_gerecke
............In regards to the switch to digital giving more high quality channels, it might be good to define quality in context. The picture and audio may be better,
My TV reception can only be by Digital signal. The Analogue has already been switched off.
During the dual transmission phase of changeover, I was able to compare picture quality. The Analogue was definitely better.
Now that I cannot directly compare I rue the day we lost Analogue, each time I see the Digital artefacts ruining a noise free picture.
Watch faces in particular. They distort noticeably.
Is this our human evolution picking up subtle facial features being especially sensitive to expression etc?

Then there are drop outs and/or pixelisation rather than Analogue's noise increase.

Sound wise the Digital is very similar to the Digital NICAM signal we had. The older FM audio signal, although mono and only 12kHz bandwidth, had it's nice to listen to sound. The TV sound technicians do a good job when allowed.

The Digital Standard that was hurriedly rushed out is poor.
The ability to squeeze in more channels by increasing channel compression leaves out of control of the signal we receive.
No matter how good our receivers, we cannot recover the lost information.
Will HDTV be significantly better? When will it take over and the "new" Digital receivers and decoders become obsolete?

I have filled out the petition. Thanks for posting it.
Old 8th July 2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Signed.
Old 8th July 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Or maybe it's all a load of hype

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/07/bbc_dab/
Old 8th July 2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Signed

Never seen a £1.00 Digital radio, I have a FM radio that cost that new in the garage... DAB appears to be Over-priced and Over-compressed. What I've heard so far is worse than my £1 woollies radio.

Hide this!Advertise here!