Home-made RCA interconnects - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Home-made RCA interconnects

Hi all,
Just thought I'd share a small project that I am working on, a pair of RCA leads. Its purely experimental, materials will cost an estimated max of $10 so if it doesn't work out I dont really care, as it would have been worth trying out different things.

Rather than saying homemade to describe some bought cable and soldering some plugs on, I am attempting to actually make the cables.
So far, I have a single stranded copper core, twisted around the outside at a rate of approximately 1 turn per inch is a single piece of solid core enameled copper wire.
Over this I am going to put a layer of aluminium foil.
All three of these different conductors will be joined at either end and insulated from each other the rest of the way, essentially providing three signal paths.

I haven't put any special thought into this construction, I just decided that a stranded core, solid core, and thin foil all exhibit different characteristics, such as foil being more suitable than solid core for high frequencies due to the skin effect, even though at 20 KHz the 'skin' depth is still relatively deep. And having one of each, should in theory perform better than a single conductor, also the overall impedance will be lowered by having three conductors in parallel.

So that was the core, over this I will run a length of heatshrink, and maybe some other form of insulator that can be applied easily. Then another layer of foil, and finally copper braiding as the ground shielding, and I will probably use another layer of heatshrink to go over that, as there is no real other that is cheap and easy and it insulates just fine.

I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this. At the time of writing, I am only at the first stage, and I may construct it differently yet, I dont know. I don't have any expectations, it might be the best cable ever or it may sound like sh!t, but is that not the point in experimenting? I will try to take a couple of photos, and will post up the results after testing and listening to them.
Would also like to hear if anyone else has tried something like this or something similar before.
Old 6th July 2009, 02:57 PM   #2
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Try RG6 coax with F-RCA adapters. Low capacitance, good dielectric, and shielding. Easy once you have a good crimping tool. Big turn radius ie not the most flexible.
Old 6th July 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why? What's that got to do with my post? I'm experimenting with cable construction, not necessary looking for something better than what I have (even though that would still be good). All the same, thanks for your input
Old 6th July 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I responded to thread title... not the idea of making your own coax which is IMO not putting your resources into good use. What are your technical goals if any, besides being subjective.
Old 6th July 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

At this point the only real technical goals are to make a cable thats cheap and doesn't sound too bad, but most importantly just as a learning experience. You could say I just want to find out if I can make a coax audio cable myself that sounds good and is cheap and relatively easy to make. I don't care if it turns out a waste of time, as otherwise I would never have found out. If it turns out good, I may look into it further. I'm just making it from bits lying around, only have to buy heatshrink and thats not expensive
Old 7th July 2009, 02:59 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

So you will be using the foil as the sheild and return? How will you solder it / connect it?

If the foil is the return, then it (and its connections) will be half of the "sound." Or have I not understood your construction?

Back in the 80s Isoda of Japan made multi metal cables. Don't know if they are still in business.
Old 7th July 2009, 03:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As described, the core or the 'hot' wire is going to be a single lenghth of insulated stranded wire. Around the outside is a piece of solid core enameled copper wire, wrapped at about one inch per turn. Then there is a layer of foil over this, forming three conductors in parallel. Then theres a layer of insulation.

For the shield, is another layer of foil, covered by a layer of copper braiding. So at no point is the foil being used alone, and there are two layers of foil being used. And for connection I'll just use aluminium solder, similar to regular solder but it has about 5% silver added, or I could just use a small crimp
Old 7th July 2009, 03:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And for connection I'll just use aluminium solder, similar to regular solder but it has about 5% silver added, or I could just use a small crimp

Aluminum solder?
Are you going to test between Reynolds and "off brand" aluminium foil?
Old 7th July 2009, 04:46 AM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

infinia - why the attitude? He's just having fun trying to make something and listen to it.

I've never been able to solder Alu, but you may have better luck than I!
Old 7th July 2009, 04:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You aren't worried about capacitance?

Hide this!Advertise here!