Recommend DVD Player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

After years of hardly any time spent on watching video, I have just purchased a TV panel and am looking for a decent DVD player to go with it. I do not want to set up a surround system. I confess I do not know much about the current bells and whistles of the current production DVD players. The TV is a 720p. I have seen DVD players out there that up-convert the res to 1080P--would these be compatible with my 720P TV? Or is the up-conversion a user adjustable feature?

I would appreciate your recommendations or guidance for a decent DVD or DVD-A player in $100-$300 price range. The lower the better!

TIA

seraph

I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ28K. It has HDMI, digital tuner, recording capabilities, USB, 1394, and quite a few other nice features. There are two modifications I recommend: add a heatsink and rewire the Nixie tube supply to turn off when not in use. Open the cover and epoxy a heatsink to the CPU. Then there is a jumper that needs to be cut and rewired to another jumper to enable the Nixie supply only when the player is on. (I'll get you the details later.) The heatsink mod will improve reliability in hot environments. The Nixie supply mod helps the Nixie tube last longer and saves a little energy. (I actually mostly use that player as a digital tuner to convert a PC LCD monitor into a small HDTV.)

You may want to look at a Blu-ray player instead.

depends what your needs are There are many options. ou may wish to look for a player that can play downloadable movies, raw mepgs and/or various media files from still digital camers or movie recorders. In the older? dvd format there are quite a few that can play nearly everything except blueray. there is a chain of stores in Canada that sell refurbished philips players for around $30-40 that can do most of the above. I have a couple and they work well. I haven't seen any advertised blueray players that can play divx, someone please prove me wrong.
A pc with a dvd player/blueray player and a digital/analog tv tuner will work wonders as well. Many inexpensive video cards/motherboards have hdmi/digital output. Check the back of your tv it may have a VGA input. Mine does and that's what I use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.