Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Use for DMM square wave output

Hi all,

I've just bought a cheap tiny DMM to throw in my car tool box, and it has a 50 Hz square wave output.

What are the uses for this?

Thanks

Stuey
Old 11th June 2009, 09:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

How odd.
I've seen DMM's with frequency readouts but never one with a squarewave oscillator.
Who made it? Model number?
Old 11th June 2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Stuey is offline Stuey  Australia
diyAudio Member

It's a real cheapy - a UNI-T UT20B.

I bought it simply because of its tiny size and price - it's about 3" x1.5" and weighs 100g with battery and was a mere $9 - including the battery!

I have another couple of better meters but they are a bit unweildy to keep in a gereral purpose tool box.

I actually found on the web some high end meters such as Agilent's with this feature, but no explanation of what it's for. I also found some suggestions that it's for logic testing, but that's well out of my sphere of knowledge. Yet another site speculated about it being to test audio amplifiers.

Thanks

Stuey
Old 12th June 2009, 12:42 AM   #4
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Basic transformer testing, basic inductor and capacitor testing, logic testing...
Old 12th June 2009, 02:48 AM   #5
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

In my ENGR 111 class, the meters supplied had a very simple signal generator. (Of course, I brought my own meter since I knew they aren't going to have any good stuff in that class.) It was fixed at about 55Hz and I don't think it would be very stable.

About the only real application I can think of is simple go/no go audio equipment testing. Even a simple 555-based signal generator is much more useful for real testing.

Hide this!Advertise here!