Can I use 4-pin Molex connector as speaker connector?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about using those 4-pin Molex connectors like you see on computer hard drives as a speaker connector.

Is this possible? I won't be running very high power, it's a TA2020 t-amp that will be putting around 20W rms into a 4ohm speaker, I guess the current won't be more than 1 or 2 amps...

Any disadvantages or reasons not to do this?

I was going to have the amp in my car, and I want it to be easily removable, and I thought using molex connectors would be ideal for quick and easy connection.

I guess speakon is also an option but it seems overkill for such low powered speakers...

My concern would be that it's bad practice to use what is nearly always a DC power connector for anything else.

Cutting down an AT style power supply connector would be a safer way to go. Insertion force is less, too, which means less risk of damaging pads if you've built a single-sided board.

My concern would be that it's bad practice to use what is nearly always a DC power connector for anything else.

I hear you. One of my earliest self taught lessons in electronics came when I was 12 years old and had the bright idea of using a 1/4" phone plug as a power connector for a tape recorder I was modifying. One detail I overlooked was that the hot tip and sleeve would be momentarily shorted while inserting into the jack. The result was a charred plug and jack, hole burned in the carpet and upset parents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.