DIY interconnects - quick question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, just a quick question on DIY interconnects ..

what would be better (i know, try it yourself then judge .. i just want to know the opinion from someone who's had experience w/ this) for interconnect cable - the cat5 strands or magnet wire?
the cat5 strands would not be left twisted, they would be arranged in some way .. same w/ magnet wire ..

also, for magnet wire, 26g or 30g?

i'm thinking 26g magnet wire, in cat5 strand insulation (from the cat5 wires), then in pvc insulation (from ordinary hookup wire), then in the wide cat5 insulation .. the cat5e cable is NOT plenum rated, so i don't think it has teflon insulation, but does sound good for speaker wire ..

I have a pair of Monster Cable RCA interconnects and one Air core cable with Canare plugs. These have a shield that is kept away from the core by air and kept in place at intervals with a spacer.

Recently I made an RCA interconnect with average quality RCA plugs. One full Cat5 cable per channel ( 1 meter ). 4 coloured strands twisted together at the plug - hot line. The strands with white stripes on them twisted together and soldered to the outer terminal on the plug.
Sound is FAR better than the other cables mentioned above.
Depending on your system , it might be the biggest jump you might have made in recent times ! Try it out . It hardly costs anything.
Over here it cost me about US$2.50 for a pair including RCA plugs.
cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.