LVDT signal conditioner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default LVDT signal conditioner

I'm Googling around to see if there might be some info about half bridge LDVT's and signal conditoners.

Right now I have this:

Processor creates 13 kHz sinus at 150 kSp/s.

The signal is received via the analog inputs.

My question is if the LVDT is sensitive about the feeding waveform. Can I use somewhat unpure sinus or should it be a nice looking sinus signal?

The sensor in question is a half bridge LVDT = three wires.

Anyone worked with LVDT's and signal conditioners together with a microcontroller?
Old 7th May 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Fooled with 'em years ago. They like a nice sine wave. Super low distortion isn't necessary, but it should be a clean sine. Analog Devices used to make an entire LVDT analog solution on a chip and I think Jim Williams of Linear Technology might have had an example circuit using one of their precision switches. IMHO, LVDTs are a great sensor that's often overlooked. Today everybody wants pure digital solutions like optical gratings that are quickly resolved into digital quadrature signals. The LVDT excels where you need near infinite resolution and reasonable bandwidth, depending on how high a frequency you're willing to drive it. They're also easy to diy.

Hide this!Advertise here!