amp cuts out certain frequencies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2009, 01:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default amp cuts out certain frequencies

Hello i have the Sony str-dg520 amplifier and i just had a weird occurrance happen to me. this has happened before. after a while of playing audio at max volume all of a sudden the treble (not sure how to speel that) cut out almost completely. i am only using 3 speakers a left right and a center with most of the treble coming out of the center. i know if i turn my amp off and wait a while it comes back does anyone know whats causing this and any way to correct it.
Old 7th May 2009, 01:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

NEW INFO:
ok now ive been playing music for a bit after this problem occurs. if it goes to a new song or gets paused for a second or two the treble cuts back in temporarily so i am not sure what to consider this. overheating cold solder or what.
Old 7th May 2009, 04:28 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If I had to guess, you have a thermal cutout on the tweeter in your speaker. After being ovdrdriven for a periood of time, it heats up and turns the tweeter off until it cools down.

SOme small component like a Raychem Polyswitch or an equivalent is what I might expect.
Old 7th May 2009, 04:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

sound splausible but the thing is the speaker im using that has a tweeter in it is rated for 125 watts and im only able to put 100 watts through it . would this still happen?
Old 7th May 2009, 08:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Quote:
im using that has a tweeter in it is rated for 125 watts
There are not many tweeters handling this kind of power, so where did you get that number from

If you are refering to that your speakers can handle 125 Watts, this doesn't apply to each of the speaker drivers.....

Because of a higher SPL (your tweeter is more sensitive than your mid and bass driver), your tweeter may only be able to handle 30-40 Watts if driven alone.

There is a good change that Enzo's suggestion is right
Old 7th May 2009, 10:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

i meant to say that the speaker containing the tweeter( the only one in my system) has a total power rating with all drivers totaling 125 watts.
Old 7th May 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you are driving it hard, your amp is capable of sending out short bursts of energy far exceeding the rated 100 watts. It's known as clipping and can be deadly to tweeters. It sounds like you're lucky to have the tweeter protection or they would likely be dead by now. Show restraint around the volume control my friend.
Old 8th May 2009, 04:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

ok look i know my amplifier is not going into clipping so dont give me that bs.
Old 8th May 2009, 06:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Quote:
so dont give me that bs
We are actually trying to help you here, so why this behavior ???
Old 8th May 2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

mulletdude,

YGM

Hide this!Advertise here!