amp cuts out certain frequencies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i have the Sony str-dg520 amplifier and i just had a weird occurrance happen to me. this has happened before. after a while of playing audio at max volume all of a sudden the treble (not sure how to speel that) cut out almost completely. i am only using 3 speakers a left right and a center with most of the treble coming out of the center. i know if i turn my amp off and wait a while it comes back does anyone know whats causing this and any way to correct it.

If I had to guess, you have a thermal cutout on the tweeter in your speaker. After being ovdrdriven for a periood of time, it heats up and turns the tweeter off until it cools down.

SOme small component like a Raychem Polyswitch or an equivalent is what I might expect.

im using that has a tweeter in it is rated for 125 watts
There are not many tweeters handling this kind of power, so where did you get that number from :confused:

If you are refering to that your speakers can handle 125 Watts, this doesn't apply to each of the speaker drivers.....

Because of a higher SPL (your tweeter is more sensitive than your mid and bass driver), your tweeter may only be able to handle 30-40 Watts if driven alone.

There is a good change that Enzo's suggestion is right ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.